Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Tinting the Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Default Tinting the Tail Lights

Hi, I just recently bought a 2002 Honda Accord 4dr, I was thinking of doing a bit of my own easy and cheap work on the look of the car, so I thought i'd go with the classic smoked lights.

The only problem is, every thread that I have read up on about tinting tail lights involves spray on tints, which where I live don't exist. So I have no option but to go with the window tint material.
I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this before ? As in use windwow tint to do the tail lights, I know it's going to be hard trying to cover all the curves and getting out all the wrinkles. But if that does work out, what are the chances that it will stick well and not peel off with time ?

Also any tips on how to make it easier, or how to allow it to stick better ?

Thank You.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Tinting the Tail Lights

I planned on tinting my tail lights before I painted them.

To give me an idea of how it would look I cut a square of reg. window tint, cleaned my tailight, and applied it. It stuck on w/o any problems for a few days. But, I tried doing curves and it just kept wrinkling, so good luck!

But, It would probably be better just to use the spray. O'Reilys has it in stock, and Advance Auto Parts can order it. Or get it off eBay. NiteShades

Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

the mail was invented for a reason, just have a can shipped to you

Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM

I got my back light SMOKED about 4 years ago, got them done at a tuner shop, i watched the guy do it after that i learned and now I personally Smoke my freinds back lights for them. Click on my link you can see how mine look, it's a very easy process, all you need is the special spray can (black), i bought a can the other day it was $30 bucks, I was suprized i remember a while back they were $5 bucks, anywayz here is what you do.
Step 1, Remove the back lights, unscrew them and unplug the wires thentake the entire light out.
Step 2, Clean the Lights, the better you clean them the better the pain will go on the better it will look( i spent about 15 minz cleaning my freinds lights)
Step 3, Take some good tape, the blue painters tape, then you have to be precise with the taping, cover the parts you dont want smoked, take your time and make sure the lines are straight, then go over the tape with your hand to asure its on good (that way the pain wont leak threw) Make sure you dont use duckt tape, or clear tape, nuthing cheap.
Step 4, Take the can and start spraying the lights from a 4-8 inch distance in a steady motion, untill you get them as dark as you want. Wait about 2 hours (put them in a good place make sure no dust will fly on it, prefebly in the sun if you can) then take off the tape do this with PIN POINT persistion.
Step 5, This spet depends on how dark you want your lights, I did a second coat, but if you dont want it too dark then just leave it be then just simply put/screw the lights back. then you are DONE easy right?

If your not good with your hands and you dont have experiance I highly recomend you take it the body shop, have a expert do the job just give him the spray can here is what i used to SMOKE my lights http://www.lextasy.com/images_produc..._now_b1392.jpg

Good Luck Hope this helps FOX.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM

There is lots of outfits on e-may that sell tint film kits for tail light .. I used one for mine and another is www.rockblocker.com.

You can also spray on Night Shades to get the darkness you want. The spray ons work best if your lights are removed.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

here you go....good luck

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM

definitely do the spray. just take your time and let it dry. if you use film a hair dryer usually helps get wrinkles out. Good Luck!!