DIY Answers. This section is for the staff of HAF to post detailed DIYs in response to the requests by the members.

2004 Accord Map Lights & Sunglass Holder fix, with photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks again for the update on the switches. As I said the 07 Pilot is having the same issue and I've been telling myself I need to do something but haven't yet.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:06 PM

The problem is probably not the switches since they work independent of the door. I found that new switches did not fix mine, so I looked into it further and found that the root cause is the loose center terminals for the switches in the base. I just had to epoxy the metal to the plastic and slightly bent the terminals toward the bottom of the switches to ensure contact. Now the old switches work with the door too.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Default Help

Originally Posted by othello
Othello (cat in avatar)... Steve (human)... One of us is smarter. The other types faster.

The map light switch purchase unit price was under a dollar. The vendor is now out of stock but apparently has an order coming in. The shipping cost was very reasonable, but still far more than the unit price. The total was about ten dollars, delivered.

I was surprised to see the very low unit price, but it tipped the scales for going ahead and attempting the repair. From prior posts on the subject, I wasn't 100% sure whether the switch was the problem. But the cost of finding out was so low, the decision was fairly easy. Removing the base from the console assembly and tracing the conductors, which are right out in the open, I concluded the switch was the most likely potential failure point.

Not surprisingly, I was very pleased that minimal expense and unexpectedly little time corrected both issues (map lights, sunglasses door) in the console assembly.
How how do you fix this if the whole console is hanging out of the ceiling?
In other words everything works except for the fact that it's hanging as one piece out of the ceiling are there clips to buy please help 😁

Old 01-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

There should be 2 screws holding it up