DIY Answers. This section is for the staff of HAF to post detailed DIYs in response to the requests by the members.

A/C clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Default A/C clutch not engaging

Ok the problem I am having is that the compressor clutch will not engage, I know that the compressor is good because I jumped a wire from the battery to the compressor wire and it kicked on and I have cold air. Everything has power from the fuse under the dash to the relay, the only wire that does not have power is the one coming from the relay to the compressor. Anyone know what might be wrong to cause the compressor to not get power?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you tried a different relay??

there are 4 wires at compr clutch relay,,,,,,,,start car turn a/c on ,, you should have power at ,,,white,, and black/yellow wires, ground at red /blue,
if you do and you have no power at red wire ,, you got a bad relay,,

let us know..

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-28-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM

I have 14 volts at the white and black/yellow wires, and 5 volts at the red/blue wire, but none at the red wire. I replaced the relay with a new one, still nothing. Whats my next step?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96accordguy
5 volts at the red/blue wire, Whats my next step?
there is your problem,,,,,,you are suppose to have ground at that wire with car running a/c on ,that is what energizes the relay and sends power from white wire to red wire ,,
chk to see if you have ground at the pressure switch at blue/yellow ( in) and red/white ( out) if you got ground in both , you could have a wiring issue or an issue in the ECM....
if ground in ( blue/yellow) and no ground out ( red/white) you got a bad pressure switch

if no ground in,, you need to chk ground at thermo switch at the evap

you need to remove the glove box,locate the thermo switch outside of evap case.........it has 3 wires blue/red,,, blue/yellow,, black /yellow,, Again a/c on, fan button on any speed ,, chk for ground at blue/red should have ground,, if you do,, chk for ground at blue/yellow,, if you DO NOT you got a bad thermo switch

if you had no ground at blue/red,, most likely a bad control panel..

chk this out and let us know

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-28-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Alright I have no ground on the red/white side of the pressure switch and I do at the blue/yellow. So bad pressure switch, I even checked for ground at the two wires you mentioned on the thermo switch and they both have ground. Is there a tool or way to remove the pressure switch without losing my refrigerant?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM

The A/C pressure switch is located in the condenser outlet line where refrigerant is in a high temperature/high pressure liquid state. The switch will sense abnormally high or low pressure, and open the circuit. This removes ground, and the compressor will stop running.

according to the tests you have done and what you tell me,, it sure sounds like a bad switch
Just for kicks, engine running , a/c on, ground the red/white,,,,,,,,compressor should come on ,,

you need to evac and then recharge the a/c system in order to replace the pressure switch,,Once switch is replaced , put system under vacc for a while then add NO MORE than 22 ozs of R134A