General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Clutch Not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New Clutch Not Engaging

I have a 1995 Accord
2.2L non-VTEC
Manual 5 Speed Transmission

I just replaced the clutch and after putting everything back together the clutch is not engaging. Ive tried adjusting the clutch pedal, Ive bled the lines but to no avail. Any idea what may be causing this or what else I should check?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is clutch slave cylinder not moving when clutch is depressed?

If yes, then you are likely not building pressure (air in system). Sometimes bleeding must be done uphill (from slave cylinder to reservoir) by pumping new fluid upwards to push air bubbles out of system.

I've also heard of some systems (not accord) that trap air in slave cylinder due to shape and require un-mounting to get last bit of air out.

If slave cylinder is moving and no clutch action, you did something wrong w/ the clutch assy replacement (left out clutch fork!).

good luck

Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is clutch slave cylinder not moving when clutch is depressed?

If yes, then you are likely not building pressure (air in system). Sometimes bleeding must be done uphill (from slave cylinder to reservoir) by pumping new fluid upwards to push air bubbles out of system.

I've also heard of some systems (not accord) that trap air in slave cylinder due to shape and require un-mounting to get last bit of air out.

If slave cylinder is moving and no clutch action, you did something wrong w/ the clutch assy replacement (left out clutch fork!).

good luck
Yes, Slave cylinder is moving
Clutch fork is in
Bleeding was done uphill in driveway

I am wondering if the slave cylinder is bad though. When I started the car the other day, smoke was pouring out of it. That could of been due to the throw out bearing being bad. Mine looks terrible. Id post a pic, but i cant figure it out.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If clutch slave cylinder is moving the clutch fork, something must be wrong w/ throwout bearing to clutch fork connection or other mechanical fault inside clutch assy.

Following video may help:

good luck

Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just wanted to come back and let you know the final outcome.

Couple things may of played the part:

1) My mechanic used some lock-nut stuff and I guess a little bit got on the flywheel and adhered to the clutch disc. (When we removed the tranny again he said he had to just about pry the 2 apart.)

2) Was the Slave cylinder. (Noticed when I was manually moving the clutch release fork that it was very loose and able to move side to side and up and down with ease.)

Replaced the slave and now everything works. I can go back to pretending im Speed Racer in my Stock F22B

Thanks for all your input.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for following up on this, so others will know the outcome when they come across this thread.