DIY Answers. This section is for the staff of HAF to post detailed DIYs in response to the requests by the members.

Manual transmission fluid replacement 2003+

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default Manual transmission fluid replacement 2003+

Change Manual Transmission Oil
2003 Accord 4-cylinder manual trans. (V-6 would have a different transmission)
(probably the same for 2003 - 2009 & beyond?)

Pretty easy job, IF you can lift & support the car. Don't do this if the tire-changing jack is your ONLY way to support the car.

Honda MTF is the recommended fluid.
2.2 qt total oil capacity
Only 2 qt will drain out, so you probably don't need to buy a 3rd quart.

1) Lift & support the left-front corner & remove the wheel. For better drainage, I usually find a shorter stand, so the overall car is level when the wheel is removed. Use good support, not just a jack...

2) Look in alongside the axle. The fill bolt is at about the same elevation as the axle, to the right (3:00 oclock position from the axle). It's got a wide flange & looks different from all the other transmission-case bolts. Make sure you can remove the fill bolt before you remove the drain bolt...

3) The drain bolt is directly below the axle (6:00 oclock position) & has a square hole for a 3/8" socket extension (with no socket). After the fill bolt is loose, remove the drain bolt & drain the transmission oil.

4) Check for crud on the magnet of the drain bolt. Wipe it off. If there's any chunks, consider another 1 or 2 drain/fills before too long to clean it out. Also keep an eye on it in the future for shorter fluid intervals.

5) Clean & re-install the drain plug. A new crushable aluminum washer is recommended, but I've re-used them sometimes.

6) Insert a hose into the fill-hole, & fill the transmission. When full, the fluid will begin pouring out of the fill-hole. Fill slowly so it doesn't overflow early. Make the vehicle level for accurate fluid level.
6a) Some people prefer to fill through the VSS hole, but you still need the proper fill hole open so you know how much fluid to use. I find it easy enough to just use that fill hole.

7) Clean & re-install the fill-plug.

8) Put the wheel back on & lower the car. Test drive. Celebrate your success.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-17-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up

Great thanks Jim

Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM

I have used the BG Synchro Shift II instead of the Honda MTF and it works GREAT !