General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Honda Accord LX 4-cycl Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Default 2003 Honda Accord LX 4-cycl Transmission Fluid Change

Hello,

I have a 2003 Honda Accord LX 4-cycl. auto transmission, 4-door with 36600 miles. I purchased used and I'm not 100% sure if the transmission has ever been serviced.

I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

First, remove the transmission dip stick?
Next, remove the transmission drain plug and drain the fluid?
Then, replace the plug with a new (crush gasket)?
Last, put 3 quarts of transmission fluid back in?

I hope this is how it's done.

I do have a couple of questions.
Is the trans. plug gasket the same as the oil drain gasket?
Must I use a torque wrench when replacing the trans. plug?
If so, does anyone know how much torque to set the wrench with?

Thanks,
Sheryl

Last edited by Sheryl S; 09-10-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Firstly, automatic & manual trannys are very different. And Honda 4-cyl and V-6 trannys are different, so there's 4 completely different trannys here.

You said you have a 4-cyl engine. Since you mention the tranny dip-stick, I guess you have an automatic tranny? Yes, you have the right procedure for an automatic.

Beginning in 2003+ auto trannys (for the 4-cyl engine), the drain plug is located near the front-center of the engine (on the very bottom of course). The plug faces towards the right-side of the car, it doesn't face down. The plug has a square hole in it, for you to use a 3/8" socket-wrench handle without a socket.

The total amount of fluid is something like 7 quarts, but only about 3 quarts will drain out. Catch some as it's draining - if it's dirty, I suggest changing it 3 or 4 times; drive around a bit in-between to mix up the fluid. Also, if it's dirty, in the future change it more often so it doesn't GET so dirty next time.

The drain plug has a magnet. It's sorta normal to have some sludge sticking to it, so wipe that off with a rag. There should NOT be any big chunks; that would be a bad thing.

I think the tranny drain plug and the engine drain plug aren't the same size, so it's a different-size crush-washer.

I normally snug it up, without a torque wrench. The shop manual DOES list a torque (maybe I'll remember to look it up).

Fill with about 3 quarts of Honda ATF. Make sure you check the oil-level on the dipstick, because it may drain more or less depending on how level the car sits. Don't just close the hood after adding 3 quarts.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Hello JimBlake,

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, sorry that I did not mention the trans. is an automatic.

You mention if the trans fluid is dirty to repeat 3 or 4 times.

So I may possibly need 9-12 quarts of Honda ATF and 3-4 crush washers?

And, you mention if it's dirty to change it more often in the future. Approx. 20k miles?

I just want to be sure I'm understanding what your saying.

Thanks again for all your help,
Sheryl

Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

ONLY if drains out dirty. Then re-use the crush washer until the FINAL fill-up. Actually, I re-use the crush washers several times anyway. But those washers don't cost much anyway.

Yes, possibly need 9-12 quarts. But PROBABLY not. Most likely one drain/fill is all that's needed. Then judge future intervals based on how clean it looks. 36k miles is probably sooner than the owner's manual calls for anyway.