Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1994 honda accord engine dying

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Default 1994 honda accord engine dying

long story but here it is....today i went to start my 1994 honda accord after getting off work and she fired up but died instantly. well i fired her up the second time and the same thing happened. so i turn it over the third time and she fires up. i thought well maybe shes low on fuel cause it was nearing empty on the honda gauge (usually about 4 gallons left in tank at that point) so i drove to the gas station and filler her up. she fired up instantly and i drove home. later i started to leave the house to go to a friends and she died. so i fired her up and she ran fine. when i came home i started up the hill to the house and she died when the car came on the incline. she would not start. it would crank over and hit a litttle bit. i replaced the plugs and wires a long time ago so that led me to believe that perhaps the air filter needed checked. i took the cover off the air filter and she started right up. i get in the car and arrive at the top of the hill of the driveway where i shut her down. she begins starting a little and dying, i thought perhaps i had bad gas. so i bought some iso heet water remover and put it in the gas tank. she sputtered a little when i started it up but began running pretty good although when i gave her the gas it would idle down to about 500 rpms and kick back up to 750 rpms. i took it for a drive to see if the iso heet would cure it and it seemed to be doing pretty good. i then came to a stop sign and the accord just completely died. she would fire up and istantly die, i let it sit for about a minute and tried it with holding my foot to the floor and she fired up and i headed back to the house. well im almost to the house and she dies agian as i head up a small hill. once again sputtering starting dying, after trying for a bit i put her in neutral and coast back to a flat spot where the car fires up. i hurry up and make it back to the house. when i backed her up and shut her off i went to restart it but now im getting no gas whatsoever.
so in other words. at first it seemed like shes getting gas and hitting but wouldnt fire up, then suddenly she would start. she died when i began to go up two hills and wouldnt start till once i removed the air filter, and second time i coasted back on flat ground. now she died for the last time and just turns over isnt even hitting.
id say its a fuel delivery problem, maybe fuel filter or fuel pump but need more ideas on where to look. any help is appreciated. ask me for more details if you need. thanks
sorry so long

Old 03-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1994 honda accord engine dying

if you are not getting any fuel ,,,,you are on the right track,, you need to chk fuel pressure,, it could be a plugged fuel filter,, when was last time you replaced it ?? could be a bad fuel pump.. you need to chk if there is power at fuel pump when car does not start ,, if power and ground it could be a bad main relay , or bad wiring,, if there is power and you are not getting any fuel could be a bad pump, plugged fuel filter, rust in the tank covering the pump pick up screen ,,
So my friend ,,you got some diagnosing to do ,,,,,,,when car won't start, get a can of carb cleaner, remove the tube going to the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner in there, open up the throttle blade by hand .. if engine fires right up , you know you got an issue with lack of fuel delivery
if it still does not start chk for spark,

Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM

well ive never replace the fuel filter, i just got it about 2 months ago and hadnt fooled much with it. i was actually planning on having the timing belt replaced next week so im going ahead and fast forwarding to this week.
i just went down to the car and she fired up like nothings wrong. could it possibly be something in the dist, cause i have new plugs and wiresand she has to be getting fuel now.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 PM

if you check all your fuel stuff and it checks ok.. then check your ignition rotor. i had the same problem back in the day in my 90 accord and it was my ignition rotor all carboned up and could only check a spark for a little.. but it sounds like a clogged injector or something to me.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM

well took it to a mechanic and he told me that there are gaskets on the dist that where it botls to the side of the motor sometimes they go out and oil drains into the distributor. it was idling rough when i dropped it off so im guessing it prob was something with the ignition. i went ahead and had him replace the timing belt too.