Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2003 Accord LX Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Default 2003 Accord LX Idle Problem

I have the following problem with my 2003 Accord LX 2.4.

The following problem happens quite randomly but only during summer months as far as I can tell.

After driving around town in the heat for a little while my wife parks the car at a store. When she puts the car in park the RPMs immediately shoot up to ~3000 - 3500. When she returns from shopping(15 min), and starts up the car the RPMs immediately go back up to the 3000 - 3500 range. Since the RPMs are so high, the car cannot be put into gear. (makes sense) Usually the only way to fix the problem is to wait several hours until the engine cools down, then all works well. (Or to use the manual release to get the car into neutral and then slam transmission from neutral to drive... Not really something I want to be doing)

Also, I was driving the car yesterday in stop and go traffic and I noticed that when slowing down the downshift from 2 to 1 and 1 to neutral are accompanied by a slight jerk. It would seem that this behavior always accompanies the one described above because when I parked the car and put it into park the RPMs ramped again and I couldn't get it out of park.

Additionally, and this has only happened once, once my wife was driving the car and it was exhibiting all the behaviors previously mentioned and she was having a hard time bringing the car to a full stop. The problem wasn't slowing down from say 35 mph to 10 mph, but only the last few mph before stop. Almost like one was pushing on the gas and brake at the same time. Yeah.. not cool with a 2 year old and a 2 month old in the back, she almost got in a wreck.

No check engine light on.. Even had a mechanic friend connect his computer to the car to see if he could pick anything up and nothing. (Granted, I couldn't reproduce the erratic behavior when I had my friend hook up his computer. Isn't that always the way.)

Any thought would be greatly appreciated. I've thought of pulling off the throttle body and IACV and cleaning them good. I've thought maybe a speed sensor or an idle position sensor. (But wouldn't a bad speed sensor trip an error code in the computer?) I've thought of vacuum leaks, but don't know for sure how to go about determining if this is the problem and how to locate it.

Please help

Last edited by legoses; 07-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could be the idle air control valve sticking in open position. This would result in high idle until valve frees and works correctly. Clean the IACV, throttle plate, and throttle bore thoroughly w/ throttle body cleaner. See DIY section for guidance on this work.

I doubt there is a DIY for your model, but all models are similar. You will need a shop manual to perform this work. Check automanualsource on ebay for a good download emanual.

good luck