Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2006 Accord AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2006 Accord AC issues

Hello. I have a 2006 Honda Accord EX (4 cyl) and my wife is complaining that the AC isn't cold enough. I have checked it and it does feel like it is not putting as much cold air out as it used to.

My first thought is that it is low on refridgerant. If there is a leak I think it is a slow one as the AC is still getting cool, but just not as cool as it was. Is there any way to objectively check this? Is there something else that could cause this?

If it is low I am thinking of just adding some refridgerant to it. The label under the hood says it uses "HFA134a". I assume that this is Honda's number for R134a refridgerant. Is this correct?

I know how it seems like Honda has to "bless" all of the fluids in the car. They even tried to blame a windshield washer issue on the incorrect fluid (on sub-zero days it would not work). Rain-X de-icer fluid fixed that problem.

I would be reluctant to put a compressor on a car that has over 100K miles.

Moderators - please move this post if I put it in the wrong place.

Thanks,

Jess

Last edited by SC Tiger; 06-10-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

A set of ac gauges would give some insight as to what is going on.....need to know the High and Low side pressures and the outside temp. Is one side colder than the other?

Yes, it uses R134a found in almost any parts store.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the help poorman212. I have not checked to see if one side is colder than the other yet. Would I check that at the two AC lines?

Where would I get the gauges to check this?

Thanks again.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Check the compressor seal. Nothing is wrong with your compressor. It leaks from the seal slowly but surely. That is why it will take some time for all the refrigerant to leak out.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks LonelyDora. I will check that.

My wife finally gave up and took it to a local shop who "re-charged" the system, and charger her $80. It was worse than I thought apparenly and she got sick of me messing around with it I guess.

If it leaks down again I will check the compressor seal. The mechanic says the compressor itself is working fine (clicking on/off as it should).

Here is something funny - I got suspicious that my Civic had a problem and took it to a Honda dealer. They charge $90 to check the refridgerant level, even if it would be a warranty repair! Now, from talking to the guy it seems that this applies if the level is in spec but not to the maximum. I don't know if they waive the fee if it is completely out or anything (wife's car was out of warranty anyway).

I didn't get them to do it. The AC works pretty well and I figure if it quits altogether I will have a pretty good argument that there is a problem. If it doesn't there isn't a problem. Buying a sunshade for when I park the car was a big help.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM

If it was low, there's a leak. It might be minor to the point that you'd only have to charge it once a year. You can try using one of those R134 with seal conditioner cans, iv'e seen it work a few times. Be careful though, overcharging will cuase a failure just as quickly.

The best way to get a temp reading is a laser temp guage in the center vent. Be careful on the lines as well, the high side line is going to be hot. The low side should be cold. If the low side freezes, it's indicative of either low coolant or a clogged orifice tube.