Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2010 Accord V6 Engine Loud Tapping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Default 2010 Accord V6 Engine Loud Tapping Noise

At 2,000 miles I took the car into the dealer to investigate what i would describe as a loud valve tapping noise. They said a TSB was out to repair a similar noise but my VIN was not covered. They received authoriation from Honda to investigate and they performed a valve adjustment. At least they say they did. The noise is not any better and I think it is getting worse. Any ideas or recommendations?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM

well you can go one of two ways...

one: you can bring the vehicle to another dealer. You're vechicle is covered by honda for 3 year 36k powertrain warranty. By going to another dealer you can have them investigate the problem and see what they find.

two: since all new Honda's have the 3 year 36k you could just drive the car until something goes and then Honda will replace the parts that are broken.

This might help you out...I work for a Honda dealer in AZ. We had a customer with the same complaint come in. They had a Honda Ridgeline with 1500 miles on it. The Ridgelines have the 3.5L V6 VTEC...same as the accords... What happened to their Ridgeline was the cylinder wall on cylinder 6 had actually gotten so hot that it started to fold over the top of the piston. So whenever the piston was on the up stroke it was making a clanking/tapping sound. HoA (Honda of America) funded the replacement for a new motor along with a new head (because the head actually suffered some damage too)

A Valve adjustment should have eliminated the noise unless the technician did the valve adjustment incorrectly.

One other thing it could be....is not enough oil. Honda has a tendency to ship cars from the factory with just enough oil to start the motor (to see if they run). Usually it's not enough oil for the motor. I see this a lot when I have a Honda to PDI. Check the oil level make sure you're good.

Now if you have the 4 cylinder...sometimes these make just a little noise. I guess it's typical cause I see Honda Accord 4 cyls that make just a little tapping noise.

Hope this helps you out!

SnaveZ