Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

92 lx w/ 215k miles.. What should i replace? If anything..

Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 lx w/ 215k miles.. What should i replace? If anything..

Hello all, I literally just joined this forum so I hope the questions I'm asking have not been already discussed..

Ok, I just picked up this 92 Accord LX from this elderly handicapped guy who has owned it for the past 8 years. The car has 215k miles on it, and the transmission was replaced 4 years ago, and the timing belt replaced at 120k miles. He barely drives it and the only time he does is when he would go to visit family at Vegas, San Fran, L.A. etc., so most of the miles are freeway miles. The body is perfectly straight, interior is 95% immaculate, and the engine bay is super clean. Under the hood there is no oil residue and when the car is running there is no oil smell at all. Pretty much runs and sounds like its brand new. Its not like the 75 year old man is out hot rodding lol.

My question is, what should I keep an eye out for? What should I replace that probably hasnt? part wise and/or gasket wise.

I've never owned a honda before. I am changing the spark plugs tomorrow.

Thank you all!!

Last edited by Barry92LX; 01-18-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Get NGK spark plugs. Honda seems to like them best.

Check the normal tune-up stuff. Distributor cap & rotor look OK? Start the cold engine in complete darkness & look for arcing from the plug wires (dull blue glow).

Rotting rubber on radiator hoses? Sometimes the radiator itself just rots & the fins crumble. Any number of age/corrosion things to look for.

Lift the car up & inspect everything. Crumbling rubber engine mounts? Suspension bushings? Cracks in CV boots? Balljoint boots?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok awesome! the car is suppose to be getting smogged today and then I can exchange money with the people im buying it from. it should pass fine..

and then i will follow the things you've told me

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 AM

You're over due for a new timing belt. it's been 95,000 miles, 5k past the change mark. Replace the water pump, don't trust the stock one past 200k. If it has a balance shaft belt replace that too. All these parts are apart of a good timing belt service. I would replace all the accessory belts if they're old. Same with the radiator hoses and fluid.

Change the trans fluid too.

Last edited by SVTMike; 01-21-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Duh, I should have noticed the timing belt mileage.
It DOES have a balance shaft belt. Check whether it has a seal retainer for the front balance-shaft oil seal. That was a recall item back when, so if there's no retainer then get one. Cheap bracket that bolts on & holds the seal from falling out.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok, thank you very much for that info. it is very helpful.

I've changed the spark plugs, spark plug o-ring gaskets, spark plugs, and oil.

I've tried searching on here for threads on how to change timing belt or hints/tips on it, but i couldnt find anything. if anyone knows the location of a thread such as this, could you please inform me?

thank you very much for all of your help!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Supper Moderator

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=120630

this one is a video

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...7&postcount=18

this one is step by step with pictures

enjoy!

Ryan

Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok, so i feel like i should have kept up with better updates. so here it goes:

Ive replaced:
-oil
-spark plugs with NGK's
-valve cover gasket
-spark plug o-ring gaskets
-timing belt
-balancing shaft belt
-water pump
-radiator

i wasnt going to replace the radiator but when i went to drain it to change the water pump, the petcock at the bottom literally just snapped off inside the radiator upon taking it out. luckily my local kragen had one in stock. but now that its done im happy i did considering it was the original one and probably should have been replaced anyways. i'll post some pics of my car and whatnot. i will be getting my front and rear strut tower braces in on monday, so that will be a nice little addition.

so thats it for now!!

oh, and FYI, if anyone has thought about watching that DIY video for changing the timing belt... yea, not really close. there was much more stuff i had to do to get those belts off then what the guy does/shows in that video.. a little misleading IMO

Last edited by Barry92LX; 02-06-2010 at 03:51 AM.