Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

accord engine noise, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Cool accord engine noise, please help

I have a 2006 Honda Accord EX Coupe 5 Speed Manual. 2.4 4cyl. I bought the car with 18,000 miles in 2007. The car has been excellent (have 83,500 miles on it now). Anyways since around 72k miles or so I noticed that my engine idles and sounds a lot louder than it used too. It almost has a slight Diesel sound, but it is not knocking. The loudness is most noticeable when the car is sitting in idle in neutral, sounds fine while it is driving. I use Regular 87 gas (usually BP, Shell or Chevron) and have kept up with all my oil changes (according to the maintenance minder) never gone over 5k miles without an oil change, which in my car is usually 20-30% oil life left according to The maintenance computer. I use 5W20, oil, usually penzoil. The fuel economy is normal, the temperature is always normal, there is no smoke or any problems like that, no visible leaks… just a really loud engine when idling. My main concern is that my friend has a 2006 just like mine, except automatic with about 60k miles on his and his engine when sitting next to mine is much much quitter. MY engine does not shake at all, engine mounts seem fine… rpms are normal while idling… belts are not making the noise…. They are strong and smooth…. I am stumped… could it just be that my engine is louder?? I have filled up with 93 octane for a few tanks in a row to see if it was a fuel issue, noticed no difference…. Also oil levels are always fine even well after 3k+ miles…. I have no idea… just a louder engine than my friends? Maybe cuz its getting older?? Any suggestion or advice would be very much appreciated! Do I just need new spark plugs?? They have never been changed. But Honda recommends changing over 100k miles….

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sounds are tough to diagnose by posting. If noise sounds like modest clattering sound, then may be loose valves. Suggest adjusting valves to spec. It's not a difficult job.

Also have someone inspect the exhaust heat shields for secure fasteners. Sometimes corrosion can loosen the shields and lead to rattling sounds.

good luck

Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 PM

yea its def. a 'modest chattering' sound... I will make sure someone checks out the valves... didn't think of that, thanks!!... if it is just loose valves... rougly how much would a Honda Dealer charge to have them adjusted?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM

I can't say how much, but would guess they will charge 1-2 hrs labor for the job. If you want to save money find a good Honda/Acura independent. Check angies list and local auto parts stores for references. A little due diligence will pay off.

good luck

Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 AM

thanks! Also assuming it is just loose valves and or a loose heat sheild, these are not serious issues right?? something that I can do in a few months or so? money is tight and I just put 4 new tires, and my brakes are DONE! gotta get new breaks ASAP, like this week!... so can I leave the valve issue for a few months or so ??

Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Loose valves or heat shield noise is not an emergency,...assuming that is the source of the noise.

good luck