Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Crankshaft position sensor error

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member! Where are you? UK?

Resistance of that sensor is only part of the story. You can watch the signal waveform with an oscilloscope, but there's not lot of detail about what it's SUPPOSED to look like.

The CKP sensor is in the distributor, along with CYP & TDC. The sensors don't seem to be available separately, so you have to buy a new distributor. That's a lot of $$$ to replace without confirming diagnosis. If you can find one to borrow that would be good.

If you remove the distributor cap, & the plastic shroud covering the internals, look for the RED DUST. If there's rusty red dust in there, that can confirm you need a new distributor.

Also, you can verify good continuity through the wiring back to the ECU. I never owned a 94 Accord, so not really sure the details. Pinched or cut wiring harness is a real pain to check out, because it can be anywhere.

I think there's a big cluster of ground wires bolted down near the thermostat, so you should check for them being loose/dirty/corroded.