Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Dash Lights/Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Default Dash Lights/Check Engine Light

My car was broken into and my stereo was ripped out along with my clock and hazard light assembly. Now my check engine light is on and my dash lights and dimmer controlare not working at all. I replaced the clock and hazard light button assembly and replaced the plugs and all the lights work except the dash lights and the clock, ac, and stereo all do not illuminate either. I cannot remember if the clock ever did but I know the radio and AC would light up. I had the computer diagnosed at the shop, after I asked the the guy and hetold me that the dash lights would have nothing to do with the check engine light and it was a separate issue (I doubted this) and of course when I came back he said that it was in factreading bad relays in lighting relay 1, and/or lighting relay 2. He also said that it could have to do with some wire being ripped out when my stereo was stolen..so basically he is saying that there is a relay electrical problem somewhere and that I should take it to an electrical shop. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I cannot see my dashboard at night! Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Default RE: Dash Lights/Check Engine Light

Did the guy think to check your fuses? Some in the main part of the car and also in the engine bay. Plus, the CEL should have given you an actuall code, did he tell you what it was?

Are the wires still connected to your dimmer control?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Also, I pulled out lighting relay 1 and relay 2 and inspected them and they seemed to be very hot and the kragen guy thought that was strange. But it did not look burnt or anything...My first thing would be to get a new relayand test I guess? But everything else works except for the dimmer which makes me think it is not in the relay itself. Also, in the same fusebox next to the relays (on the diagram)is a dimmer relay slot, but there is no fuse or anything to attach a fuse too...just a empty spot. the mechanic said that sometimes they will have a back up and put it on the diagram but it not actually be there. Sounds wierd to me....any help? Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Ok, yes I had checked and the guy did reccheck the fuses both in the car and in the engine bay.Iassume that the wires are still connected to the dimmer control but they could have been yanked out with stereo being ripped out. As for an actual code, the guy left a piece of paper that I assumed had all the codes but I do not know if it has the right info, here is how it reads:

OBD II Diagnostics

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Date/Time..........: 14-Aug-2007

Emissions-Related Powertrain DTCs, Mode 3:
Electronic Contol Unit ID: 0E
P1705
Manufacturer specific code.

Continously Monitored Systems DTCs, Mode 7:
No Diagnostic Trouble Codes recorded

---------------------------------------------------

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11738/1595CBA93FD241DB8AE99DAB6195E1F9.jpg[/IMG]