General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light/Dash,Radio, AC, and Transmission Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Default Check Engine Light/Dash,Radio, AC, and Transmission Lights

Hi everyone I am new to the site and would appreciate any help with problem(s) I am having.

I have a 98 Honda Accord EXV6, A/T, 93,000 miles.

My car was broken into and my stereo was ripped out along with my clock and hazard light assembly. Now my check engine light is on and my dash lights and dimmer controlare not working at all. I replaced the stock stereo,clock, and hazard light button which all worknow.

Alllights work nowexcept the dimmer control lights:dash lightstheclock, ac,gear position lightand maybe clock I don't know.
Fuses werechecked. I had the computer diagnosed at the shop and this isreading Igot back:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OBD II Diagnostics

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Date/Time..........: 14-Aug-2007

Emissions-Related Powertrain DTCs, Mode 3:
Electronic Contol Unit ID: 0E
P1705
Manufacturer specific code.

Continously Monitored Systems DTCs, Mode 7:
No Diagnostic Trouble Codes recorded

---------------------------------------------------
So is P1705 the code I am looking at here? There is a few things I got back on P1705 if that is what I should be looking at:

P1705: Automatic Transaxle Failure

P1705AT; (5) no shift except 2-3; L-U-Clutch no engage

And this came back saying that P1705 is "Gear Position Short"so needless to say I am quite confused as to what this code means and if that is in fact the code I should be looking at. Thank you for reading and any help.

Honda Accord DTC P1705 (1998 EX V6)

Q. Hi, I just had my 1998 Honda Accord diagnosed as needing an A/T Range Switch. My check engine light came in. The diagnostic code was P1705 "Gear Position Short". The recommendation from the dealer is to replace the part and re-diagnose. I am wondering how long I can go without replacing this part.

The engine light is now off. I called around and another dealer told me that if the light comes on again then I should change the part.
What are the symptoms of not immediately replacing this part i.e. problems starting? More serious transmission problems? My car only has a little over 115,000 kilometers. I find it odd to have to replace a transmission part, especially for a Honda. Is this a common problem? Here's the specs:
I would appreciate any information about this.
A. DTC P1705: Short in Transmission Range Switch (TRS) Circuit. The TRS lights the A/T gear position indicator in the instrument panel shows which gear has been selected.
The PCM also uses this information in order to manage the fuel system for maximum efficiency. The most obvious symptom you will see is the A/T gear position indicator lights will not come on or come on in the wrong position.
It is an electronic part and they do fail. I don't think it's a more common failure than most. It's not that expensive to replace. About $135.00 for the part and an hours labor to install it.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine Light/Dash,Radio, AC, and Transmission Lights

Since this started right after your car was vandalized, the wiring might be damaged and the switch might be alright.

I would inspect the wires running to the Gear Switch. A voltmeter and some patience are going to be necessary.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM

What and where is the gear switch exactly. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

The gear switch is under/next to your shifter. It might even be part of the shifter. I think that the TCU determines what gear you are via the gear position switch.