Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ECU

Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default ECU

Would anyone be able to tell me a good route to take with an aftermarket ECU for the 98 sedan (4cyl, F23A1)?

If this has already been discussed, just ignore me, I'll find the post eventually... Or you could direct me there if you want

Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Default RE: ECU

Hondata ecu's are good.... Pectel ECU's are fully programmable professional grade stuff (Used in most WRC cars...) but SPENDY.... look for a hondata

Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Hondata isnt exactly inexpensive... lol. Are you looking for a new ECU or a complete engine management system? I know there are also companies that you can send your ECU in to and they will reprogram it for you.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

http://www.hondata.com/s300.html

So would this be sufficient to replace the factory ECU and program it or is there something I'm not understanding about this concept?

Sorry if I'm a moron.. but that's why I'm here, for advice. I'm fine with normal mechanical crap (generally) but I don't really understand the aftermarket stuff at this point.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't fully understand what the ECU does yet in terms of it's full band of uses.I'm going to guess that what I'm looking for is a comlete engine management system. But if you could specify the abilities of each and the difference I may only need an ECU...

I also want something that I won't have to upgrade or replace if/when I turbo so I'd like everything I do for now to be in anticipation of that event.. whenever it may be.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 PM

that doesn't replace the factory ECU persay it simply allows you to update/program it and view outputs, it works with the ecu and gives you the ability to diagnose and tune virtually everything/anything you want....so you could (for example) set the rev limiter, governor, etc. Also provides managment for turbos and ignition.... it's like modding an x-box, you still use the core components to play the games but now you can save things to internal HDD etc, still an x-box but so much more.... hopefully that makes sense...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Would it really be beneficial, then, to get an entirely new ECU? I can already change the way my engine acts by modding the current ECU with this thing (I understood that correctly, right)?

Essentially I just wanted to be able to change the way my car thinks, like change the governor and such, so it sounds like this will accomplish what I want.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 PM

you are correct, if you got that thing you can change air to fuel mixtures, governors, v-tec engagement, tubo control, hook it up to a laptop for realtime readouts.... if you need something that does more than what it will do you'd be a sponsored professional driver *L*

Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Haha yeah.. if only.

Thanks for all your help.