Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine cant idle....but will with choke on

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Engine cant idle....but will with choke on

I've been trying to plan an engine swap for this car but recently the A20A1 thats in it wont idle and i need this engine running until i can swap it since its my DD.

Yesterday I installed coilovers on the car and lowered it about 2 inches, shortly after returning some tools i borrowed from autozone and a friend the car started running really rough, it was extremely "jumpy" and my takeoffs would usually and did result in stalling. It would start back up everytime but wouldnt idle and i would have to pump the accel pedal to keep it running....

I parked it nearby because i was afraid it wouldnt make it home and would be in a bad neighborhood for vandalism. I went back the next day with a certified mechanic friend of mine and neighbor. He checked all the fluids and everything seemed normal except for being down about a half quart on oil. We started the car and it started fine, its cold right now so i had to pump the gas a little so it would get warm enough to stay running and work its way to 2000 RPM's, which is where it idles when the choke is on.

I drove it home and it run perfectly fine for having the choke on. Pulled into the driveway and tried to kick the choke off while he was there but was unable to because the car wasnt warm enough yet. After he left it kicked off and started running really crappy like before.

Now this happened once before and turned out to be a vacuum line on the very back middle of the carb. I had immediately assumed it was the same issue but on a different hose. I can in fact hear air and so did my neighbor. I was told that if i spayed brake cleaner or starting fluid in small spots and in small amounts, i could find it easily. I did this for a few minutes and found nothing and felt really stupid.

I have a very important meeting with my boss monday and i need this fixed asap :< Can anyone help me diagnose this?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I was suggested that it was the EGR valve but I completely cleaned it and it still does the same.

When you start it up cold it runs fine....AFTER the choke shuts off is when it runs ****ty....wheres the connection here?!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Supper Moderator

from what I know with crab engines..choke is to block air and add more fuel..So maybe it's air related...I'm purely guessing cus I don't know much about carbd engines.