Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How does Antifree Coolant get over.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM
wazzup_lol
Unregistered
Default How does Antifree Coolant get over.

I have a new Honda Accord LX -V6 purchased in August 2005.Todate i have driven 12800 miles.Now here is my question,the other day for the first time i opened my trunk and was surprised to see that the antifreeze coolant is way below the minimum level.( it was almost empty).i.e coolant in the white plastic storage reservoir next to the radiator.

I am pretty sure there are no leaks, but can some body please explain why this would happen? i am reaaly worried.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Default RE: How does Antifree Coolant get over.

don't worry to much about that, that container is merely an overflow container, pop your radiator cap off (when the car is cold) and look to see if you can see fluid, if you can then you're at the right level, that bottle next to it is there in case your coolant expands to much and rather than blow it all over the engine bay it just runs out from around the radiator cap down the tube into that holding container, conversly it can draw from that container if it needs to.... so long and short, remove the cap when the car is cold and if you see fluid you're good, if you so wish to add coolant to the overflow bottle just add a 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze to that bottle so it's above the min line

Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM

was the car off? that thing is to hold the excess not the actualy normal quantity... if ur scared about it... just put some in... but i bet if u run ur car up to opperating temp u should see it in there... also why is all this in ur trunk?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it is normal for some antifreeze to evaporate over time but you might want to check for small leaks to make sure that every thing is OK

Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 PM
wazzup_lol
Unregistered

Thanks for ur reply, by mistake i put antifreeze coolant more than the max line ? do you think it is a good idea or a must to lessen the amount from the reservoir.As of now it is way above the max level.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 PM

all that will happen if it's above the max line is it could overflow and spill antifreeze out of the bottle (not a huge risk but it doesn't do you any good) if you can do it fairly easy I'd take some out to allow for expansion/contraction of the fluid without it spilling all over the ground and the engine bay... if it's not possible then don't fret but expect to see some overflow and smell/see steam come from under the hood at some point