Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Jerks with gear change

Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 AM
acd390
Unregistered
Default Jerks with gear change

Hello everyone!

I own a 97 4 dr accord. dont know what trim it is cuz it doesnt say on the badge. No mention in the registration. Its right hand drive, has a 1.8 in it, no abs, runs drums on the rear. Any ideas what trim it could be? (LX, EX etcetc???).

Also, every time its tranny kicks into the next gear, the whole thing jerks.... sorta like theres a cog missing in there somewhere (thats how it feels, im sure that cant be z case) and as soon as i let off the gas pedal just before its about to kick into the next gear, it does that same jerky thing (when kicking into the next gear) except this time its more pronounced... This time it feels like its missing more than just one cog..... the shift up should be smooth.

Could be a worn down component in the suspension but I dont think so cuz suspensions or linkages tend to rattle and squeak when worn alos the car's track settings are ok and consistent. Could be its diff but again, I just dont think so, cuz misaligned or worn diffs usually give off a whining sound. And i dont think it could be loose axles cuz they wouldve broken/sheared/stripped off by now.

Also, my damn CEL wont go off! i tried shorting the jumper (blue one) but the light wouldnt blink! Disconnected the battery but the it wouldnt reset. Took it to a professional (good shop, very famous) the connected their console and tried to get a reading off of it but couldnt. He said theres something wrong with the wiring that its shorting somewhere and id have to bring it in later for a detailed checkup. I do not want them fiddling around under my hood or dash for that matter. Any suggestions?

Appreciate your help!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Jerks with gear change

ORIGINAL: acd390

Hello everyone!

I own a 97 4 dr accord. dont know what trim it is cuz it doesnt say on the badge. No mention in the registration. Its right hand drive, has a 1.8 in it, no abs, runs drums on the rear. Any ideas what trim it could be? (LX, EX etcetc???).

Also, every time its tranny kicks into the next gear, the whole thing jerks.... sorta like theres a cog missing in there somewhere (thats how it feels, im sure that cant be z case) and as soon as i let off the gas pedal just before its about to kick into the next gear, it does that same jerky thing (when kicking into the next gear) except this time its more pronounced... This time it feels like its missing more than just one cog..... the shift up should be smooth.

Could be a worn down component in the suspension but I dont think so cuz suspensions or linkages tend to rattle and squeak when worn alos the car's track settings are ok and consistent. Could be its diff but again, I just dont think so, cuz misaligned or worn diffs usually give off a whining sound. And i dont think it could be loose axles cuz they wouldve broken/sheared/stripped off by now.

Also, my damn CEL wont go off! i tried shorting the jumper (blue one) but the light wouldnt blink! Disconnected the battery but the it wouldnt reset. Took it to a professional (good shop, very famous) the connected their console and tried to get a reading off of it but couldnt. He said theres something wrong with the wiring that its shorting somewhere and id have to bring it in later for a detailed checkup. I do not want them fiddling around under my hood or dash for that matter. Any suggestions?

Appreciate your help!
1. Moonroof? EX. No moonroof, but power locks and windows? LX. No A/C or power anything? DX. We just discussed trims a few weeks back, I'm sure you could find the thread with more detail.

2. You're contradicting yourself in bold.

3. Honda are known for hard(er) shifting in their automatics. I would start by changing the fluid out with Honda ATF-Z1 since it's probably due for a change and should make shifting smoother. SEARCH for this, there are a bazillion threads on changing it already.

4. When you shorted the blue connector did you or the shop turn the ignitiong to ON/II? That's when it spits out codes. Also, does your car have the OBDII port in the ash tray area (front) or back of the center console (rear seat)... I don't remember exactly where they put them in that generation.... if there isn't one anywhere, it's probably OBDI and the scanner at the shop wont read the codes.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 AM
acd390
Unregistered

Thanks to you, I now know mine's an LX.

As for contradicting myself, they might be famous and have a good reputation but that didnt help them diagnose the problem. That scores a big bad zero in my books. I used to run my own body shop - doing body mods, kits etc. I was famous. And trust me, in my country, being a famous garage gives me the right to rip off anyone and everyone. Anyways, I'd rather fiddle under my dash and fry a few things with my own two hands rather than have someone else do it for me! And yes, we did turn it to ON/ACC/II. The light would turn on but wouldnt blink.

The blue connector on mine's in the kickpanel under the dash on the right side. If yours is a left hander, that would make it the passenger side.

About the oil change.. yes ure right, that is the logical way to go. But ive had Hondas in our family since i was 5 yrs old. Manuals mostly but autos here and there. I dont think this is a Honda shifting it hard. I love that hard shiftin sling shot feeling and know it well. The thing im talking about is much more pronounced when im drivin slow. Runs like a dream when im thrashin it.......

Also, i couldve given it a physical myself, unfortunately, broke my leg in a gazillion places about 9 months ago in a motor bike accident. Cant get under the car in this condition you see. Id rather get me a helping hand and direct operations as per as per suggestions from you guys. Like ive said b4, id rather blow it up myself than have some one else do it for me.....

Will appreciate any more suggestions that you might have.

Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 AM
acd390
Unregistered

Help me out here people!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From your vocabulary and engine size, I'd assume that your car is EDM ..... not sold in America. From the description, I think there is either an issue with the transmission itself, the shift solenoids or the TCU. Does it slip at all? .... hit the gas, revs up and no power?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 AM
acd390
Unregistered

Ure right. Not sold in USA - it was either imported from UK or Japan (Im guessing Japan).

Im based in Pakistan. yup, the terrorism capital of the world!. Anyways, with reference to your questions, it does not slip at all. It drives great, hit the gas and KA BOOM! thar she blows! Its when im not really pushing it is when it pisses me off......drive at moderate speeds and it gives that odd jerk - klunk with a void in between.....man that drives me crazy - the effect gets amplified when i lift off just before a gear change......

There are great mechanics here... Honda certified, trained in Japan and all but having them fix it would cost me an arm, a leg and maybe an ear or two....

Any ideas about the CIL? Why wont it go off? Doesnt blink either when i short the specified jumper.....