Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

major tranny problem

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
HONDAGUY1990
Unregistered
Default major tranny problem

So I have a 1990 Accord that i bought for $600. About 6 months ago I noticed that sometimes when I would floor it the motor would rev up and hit the rev limiter. I would let off and then the transmission would shift. It didn't do it all the time and actually was very rare, but the other day I noticed that I didn't have 1st or 3rd so i checked the fluid and it was low so i added accordingly. then2 days laterI went to work and everything went smoothly no problems shifting or anything(I was even driving it hard because i was late). Then when i left work i went to get on the highway and noticed that the motor was revving but the tranny wasn't pulling that much. Then i figured let off maybe overheated the clutch pads. So I let off and nothing happened I then gave it a little gas and the motor revved with no pull what so ever. Soon realized in rush hour and the fast lane that I was slowing and very quickly. Pulled off the road and sat for about 5 min. started it up and worked great drove about 1 mile and started all over again. Car is now sitting and have no way back and forth from work! Can anyone please help with diagnosing this long but very very serious problem? What would happen if I overfilled the tranny? Could It be the TCM? Any help would be great thanks everyone.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: major tranny problem

#1: signature. See posting rules.
#2: if you're leaking tranny fluid, find out where and post that ..... after you do #1.
#3: this problem might just be a leak.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
HONDAGUY1990
Unregistered

Ther aren't any leaks that I can see. I think I overfilled it. What is caused by overfilling?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 AM

I know overfilling isn't good, but I don't think that would prevent you from getting it in gear. Check the dipstick when the car is warm to see where the level is. When you found that it was low, was it the first time that you checked? Was it full before? If so, you're leaking somewhere. Otherwise, it could be a whole host of internal issues & if that's the case, I'm not the guy for advice.

Thanks for fixing your signature though and I'm sure that now others will chime in to offer advice. There's a great group of guys on here with knowledge on everything. Someone will be able to help you!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Find and fix any leaks, then drain and fill the trans to capacity. If it leaks down fill it with a trans stop leak/conditioner. That seems to be a taboo thing with the newer transmissions, but with six hunnys in the old thing, how can you go wrong?
Be careful not to throw good money after bad tranny.
Did the car do this all the time? Auto trannys I have had were consistent-good or bad.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 PM
HONDAGUY1990
Unregistered

Yeah I thought it was an awesome deal too. Of course the wife didn't, lol. No it didn't do it all the time just when it was cold. What did you mean by throw good money after bad tranny? thanks for the help.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 AM

He means that you need to diagnose the hell out of it because if you need a new tranny, you don't want to waste money on the dead one.