Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Mysterious Screeching Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Default Mysterious Screeching Noise

98 lx....*whistles harmonic tune* ahhh what a beautiful day it is....i think ill run to the store and get some fabulous donuts....there she is...thats my baby right there...my pride and joy...sittin like a true queen...well cmon babe lets go....*turns on accessories, sets EQ on stereo* oh yea lets shake the donut shop windows....*cranks engine*...SCREEEEEEEECCCCCHHHH!!!..LOL..everytime i start my car theres this screeching noise..well honestly like if i wake up in the mornin and start it theres a screeching noise fo about 1 and a half secs...it drives fine tho...no jerking..ugly movements or nothin...but when i get to my destination say in about 10 mins or less and turn my car back off again...then start it up...it does it again for about the same period of time....but after that...it doesnt do it anymore....it has to be sitting for about 30mins to 1hr for it to screech when it starts up...when thought it was the belt becuz it was worn...BADDD...we jus got it replaced(power steering belt..which is weird bcuz i didnt know the power sterring belt had anything to do with crankin the car) and it took about 20dollars or so...turns out it wasnt that...when the engine is hot or warm...it wont screech but if its anything less than warm then it will...mechanics dont know and i sure as hell dont...can anyone tell me what it is?? or any ideas...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Default RE: Mysterious Screeching Noise

Sounds like a belt to me or a bad pulley

Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like an old belt, but you replaced that. Did you replace BOTH drive belts? Inner one drives the alternator & A/C compressor. That one is more likely to screetch, because it has more load to pull.

The rubber gets hard & slippery when it gets old, so its tempting to over-tighten the belt when it makes noise.

Take off both external belts, let the engine get cold, & start it. Can you get it to make the noise like that? If so, you know its not the external drive belts.

If its not the external belts, you may want to check for bad bearings in the timing belt tensioners. It would be REALLY badif those were to let go.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Possibly water pump bearing?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Might be waterpump, but first thing is still to take off external belts.

If the noise goes away, it might be bearings in alternator, PS pump, or AC compressor clutch.

If the noise is still there, it might be waterpump, or either of the 2 tensioner pulleys.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM

i might just leave all that up to the mechanic..lol...im sure i could do it but i dont want anything to be messd up

Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 AM

I have the same problem. what was it? how much was the fix?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

His belts were new, but NORMALLY that's the first thing to suspect for screetching noise at startup. How about your belts?