General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screeching noise when I start the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Default Screeching noise when I start the car

The noise comes when the cars been sitting for a while or all night. If the car is hot then it usually doesn't happen. Yesterday it rained so bad here that the water almost covered 3/4 of the tire and i had to drive very slowly cause the water was seriously high, while I was driving the noise came back as the car was moving, at it kept on for a while, then later it did it again. Can someone maybe post a video or something on how to check these belts? If they need to be tighten, is this something I can do myself or does it require expert hands? what about tools? what will I need? If i spray some WD 40, does that help? thannks for any help.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Except for the water, does it only screetch for a moment when starting? Putting WD40 on the belt while it's screetching would be a diagnosis method - if it stops, then you know to replace the belt.

Unfortunately, even if it doesn't stop the noise, you should still replace the belt because the WD40 will damage the rubber. Better to use water to see if it makes a difference.

Belts will get hard & slippery with age & heat. If that has happened, it's tempting to over-tighten them to stop the noise. That can lead to damaged alternator bearings, etc. Better to get new belts.

Replacing them isn't too difficult, with normal tools. Socket wrench set, etc. I think the PS pump will have 2 mounting bolts (loosen them) then use the adjuster bolt to slide the pump up (tightening the belt). Not sure what the alternator tensioner looks like in 93... maybe someone will chime in.