Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

NEED SERIOUS TUNER KNOWLEDGE...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:03 PM
OlSkool
Unregistered
Default NEED SERIOUS TUNER KNOWLEDGE...HELP!!

I've been working on carbed cars and trucks for about 10 years and have it down pretty good, but I'm new to the F.I. scene and need some serious info on my ride. I know my car is a dinosaur in terms of sport compact, heard it alot by now, but I'm still serious about tuning.....and tuning on this one. I've got a 1986 Honda Accord LXi hatchback. *laughter fills the room* I'm no fool with cars, and have done some research on mine.....its powerplant may have been something in '86, but now its rarely in use at all(and not because its killer either). I'm lucky enough to own an A20A3 Programmed F.I. inline 4. I've found it was upgraded from the carb version 85 & early 86 to the PGM F.I. taking the car from 98 hp to somewhere near 110 (legend has it). I've put on an Intimidator Cold Air Filter, and Magnaflow Exhaust (cat-back). I'm going to soon invest in a header and replace the cat with high flow one, hopefully putting me in the realm of 120-130 hp. There are 7 A-series engines: A16A1, A18A1, A20 carb, A20A1 carb, A20A2 carb, A20A3 EFI (mine), and the A20A4 EFI, and I've found parts will interchange between all these engines compatably, what I'm curious is will A-series parts interchange with lets say, B or E or F series. Ignitions, coils, fuel pumps, fuel rails, throttle bodies, intake manifolds, valvetrain, cams, ect. will any of these parts or entire engines for that matter swap into my car or engine? Changing the tranny isnt a problem and I'm familiar with going from auto to manual and visa versa. If anyone can shed any light on my project please do so, I'm learning fairly quickly, but its best to ask those who know....in this case you guys...Thankx for your comments.
OlSkool

Old 09-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Default RE: NEED SERIOUS TUNER KNOWLEDGE...HELP!!

here's a nicely done 86 hatchback with a B series engine swap....
http://hondaswap.com/auto-multi-medi...86+accord+swap

Most of the B Series engines should fit in there quite nicely...

Old 09-20-2006, 04:42 PM

So I've gotta ask though... how much did you pay for the car? It sounds sweet (saw one of your other posts) and I dig the oldschool sleeper, I wanted to do that with my little 81 civic station wagon (you can laugh too if you like!) but now that I have a little one on the way I have to sell it to pay medical bills so keep me posted on what you do with the car so I can live vicariously through your build *L*

Old 09-20-2006, 05:34 PM
OlSkool
Unregistered

hey man i spent 400 dollars cash on the spot and drove it home on the old gas, had to tighten a few belts, and WD-40 some bolts, but i've also sprayed everything hose-wise under the hood, and painted my plug wires, and valve cover fire engine red, and sanded the raised design on the valve cover to give it the red/polished alum. look. pretty sharp i think. earlier today i cut a hole in the hood and put a scoop over my cold air intake to keep the engine air intake much cooler.....have a laugh on this....the scoop came from a 1978 Datsun 240zx, and the badass part is....ive had alot of people say it looks stock. but i noticed the huge difference when i let that filter breathe like it should. hope things go the best for your new awaiting arrival. peace out!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM
OlSkool
Unregistered

you still around sir nasty?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 PM

I'm always around just not always prompt! *L* That's a sweet price on that car my civic was older and cost more than that with some minor issues... That scoop idea sounds sweet and I would love to see that! Fire engine red with raised polished lettering *L* that's sweet, I love the domestic touch on the foreign car. Get some photos of that hood up here!

Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 AM
OlSkool
Unregistered

ive ordered some parts via net & jc whitney....so far the on the way list is a Random Technology Univeral High-flow cat, Extreme Dimensions Header w/ downpipe & collector, and an NGK 8.5 mm plug wire set......parts to come are a Stillen ignition and coil, Skunk2 adjustable cam gears, B&M short-throw shifter and last but not by far least, a balanced Spoon 9lb titanium/alloy flywheel. and i'll get my hands on a digital cam asap to get some pics on here....gotta question for ya for i jet off here though, i've got the A20A2, will anything from the B series or any other series fit on my A-series engine? im mainly interested in ignition and coilbox, maybe the intake manifold or throttle body....exclusively bolt-ons.....and today i found honda and acura are hand in hand, so will anything from some acura's fit on my lil ride? by the way, that 86 like mine was sick man, totally what id like mine to be someday....but im thinking of going two tone....black trim from plastic molding (front, side and back) down and white top, with 15in wagon spoked style white powdercoated wheels and hopefully some mean rubberbands. im going with traditional 35% limo tint, they are rough on us young ones (yeah, im no teen, but im not but a step away from it, 20) but its still dark enough to look damned good. im going to go to the local parts store tomorrow to get some sound deadening foam, i just put two Kicker L7 1300 watt 12in squares (solid box, no ports), and a Rockford Fosgate 2700 watt 2 channel amp.....kenwood 3200 series 260 watt 5 1/2's in back deck and doors, with a competition JVC headunit, ive got a decent audiobahn 1000 watt 4 channel acoustic amp powering my mids and highs. its too much to sit in and pound up high, its the closest feeling ive ever had to suffocation.....its so so hard to breathe, but i can set off car alarms over 50 feet away. so far with that same equipment in a 1966 Chevy Malibu i won both db drags i attended running in street outlaw.
sorry to jet in mid-paragraph, this chick just hit my cell, wants to party, will have to pick back up tomorrow, peace peace

Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 AM

Now Olskool is someone with priorities! Make the car fast and go party with some chick. Sweet...

Old 09-21-2006, 02:48 PM

Sorry to say I have no idea about direct bolt on's/parts swaps from other engine models/makes, Desert Honda might know but I'm not sure.... Ah the days when I got a random phone call and split to a party seems like so long ago *L* Keep us posted on what you've got going on and get some pictures as soon as you get a chance!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

wait, isnt that like the either, he accord or civic.... i cant remember which one that was, but it weighed something like 1800 pounds? forget putting a B series in it, find out how to put a headswaped f23 or h22 in there, thats what some people do with civics for an unexpected surprise