Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

need some advice on tranny problems

Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Default need some advice on tranny problems

I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX-i (automatic transmission). Has roughly 260k miles on it. I started noticing about 2 months back that a few times my transmission malfunction light would blink and all of a sudden my acceleration was very slow. I had to give it a lot of throttle to get the car rolling from a dead stop. I'd then stop turn off the car and all of a sudden it started working fine again and the blinking light was gone. I didn't think much of it since it rarely happened.

Just last week I teaching my sister how to drive in my car and she accidentally shifted into reverse while still moving forward. My car would go reverse anymore and would instead make a loud grinding noise. The other gears (1st to 4th) would still work but they had very same slow acceleration as I had before but now it was constant and of course the blinking light came on. I had my mechanic swap the transmission. When I went to pick up my car after the swap the slow acceleration still remained along with the blinking light, though the reverse gear was fixed. He cant seem to figure out why it does this, he said the calipers were stuck and prevented the car from moving slowly but after changing it still does the same thing.

does anyone have any idea what it could be?

If this is to long for you to read:
My accord has really slow acceleration even after swapping transmission. anyone know what the problem can be?

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM

my mistake, it's actually an SE.

However, I've been doing a lot of searching on the web and I'm finding that faulty transmission control unit could be the problem...