Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil Drain Plug Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Default Oil Drain Plug Leaking

First of all, I will start off by saying I have been working on cars all of my life and changing oil is like falling off a log for me. So here is the story. My sons 1996 accord has been leaking oil for the last 6 months. He has changed the oil and filter since then, but there is still leaking. I finally decided to take a look for myself, and it was the drain plug that was leaking. I purchased a new plug with a nylon gasket thinking this would solve the problem, but it only made matters worse. Ihave tried several times to tighten the new plug down (even while the engine is hot) and an hour later is see a drop of oil forming from the pan. The oil is not coming from anywhere else since a cleand and drew a line of chalk around the pan to verify the oil was not coming from any were but the plug. Is it possible that there is a crack in the pan near the plug?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Possible that it's cracked. Also what about a serious deep scratch across the face where the plug's gasket seals? Or maybe that surface is bent so it's not flat where the plug-gasket seals?