General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak near oil drain plug??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 AM
Default Oil leak near oil drain plug??

So I recently bought a 1998 Honda Accord a few months ago. It only has about 130,000 miles and I have recently found an oil leak. I pulled it up on some ramps and once I got under it I found what appears to be some sort of vacuum hose that was loose and I assumed that the leak was originating from there. I put the hose back and the car is still leaking. It doesn't do it while its idling I don't think. The hose has not come undone again either. I can't really tell where the oil is coming from. I attached an image of the hose that was loose.

1998 Honda Accord LX Sedan 3.0L V6

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak near oil drain plug??-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My oil pressure sending unit was leaking; replaced and those drips declined a lot.
It's located immediately above the oil filter on my '97 4 cyl engine.

Don't know if this is helpful to your V-6.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Default Possibly transmission fluid leaking instead of oil actually.

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately the leak is not coming from the side of the engine where my oil filter is located. The leak is coming from a little higher on the engine towards the firewall on the driver side. It appears to be coming from somewhere directly below the distributor cap. I am attaching a new image from around the area. I removed a bolt that is hollow and has a few holes in it from right around where the leak is originating. There was what I believe what was left of a gasket or O-ring from around the area as well. Also an important note. I now believe it is transmission fluid or coolant that is leaking. I think the previous loose cable was unrelated.

98 Honda Accord V6 3.0L

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak near oil drain plug??-photo.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Does anyone know what this bolt is? Sorry... I forgot to ask

Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Okay so the bolt appears to be a "line bolt" for my transmission. The bolt connects to a radiator hose for cooling purposes. I don't know what caused the leak as of yet, however the washers are a special type that are made by Honda that when tightened, crush down and spread out to make a seal. Anyone have any other ideas. Does that sound correct?