General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil drain plug washer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:20 AM
desi01
Unregistered
Default oil drain plug washer

This might be a dumb question, but... I am new to cars and I am changing the oil on my 97 accord for the first time by myself and I read that you have to replace the washer for the drain plug every time you change the oil. I was wondering is this just a normal washer that I can buy at a hardware store or something special and where would I be able to get these besides online? TIA

Old 06-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Default RE: oil drain plug washer

No the "crush washer" is not just a regular washer. Yes it should be changed at every oil change to prevents leaks. You get them from your local Honda dealer. I think they are about 30-50 cents each. I usually go and buy 12 at a time because I can't always get to the dealer when I need them.
If you have an A/T you may want to change the fluid in it as well, depending on when it was changed last. It is as easy as changing the oil. When you go to the dealer pick up a "crush washer for the transmission, they are different, and 3 quarts of ATF-Z1 and drain & fill the transmission as well.
Good luck on the project.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: oil drain plug washer

DEs first off WELCOME to HAF,,,,,,,,,

secondly , no questions asked here is a dumb question,

and last ...

ok for Mpanelli..providing you with the correct replies ............