General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid line that feeds front washer n

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Default Washer fluid line that feeds front washer n

1994 accord wagon.
The washer fluid line that supplies the 2 nozzles on hood broke bacause of hardness. I can't figure where this line came from. I took off the drivesr side inner fender liner and traced the line fromthe reservoir, and thought I was getting it done, but now I'm lost. How is this line routed? How can I replace the line that supplies the front nozzles?
Help me, I'm going crazy.
Bob

Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know if this parts drawing will help you much. It really doesn't show how it leads through the fender.

Attached Thumbnails Washer fluid line that feeds front washer n-1994-wagon-washers.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't know if this parts drawing will help you much. It really doesn't show how it leads through the fender.
Thank you for the drawing. For the life of me I can't determine where the line comes into the engine compartment area.
Bob

Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Default Washer fluid line that feeds front washer nozzles

OK, I found the line. The supply line runs from the reservoir high along the inner fender liner to an area close to the hood hinge on the drivers side. I simply changed the hardened line and everything is great.
I love the honda accord forum. Loads of information.
Bob

Old 10-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Default 1994 accord washer tube routing--How to see it.

The above was helpful, but I learned more about the routing of the washer fluid from the pump (front left, down low) to the point of emergence near the windshield. As mentioned above, the tube is not visible in the engine compartment until it suddenly emerges near the firewall. It does take an internal path adjacent to the metal fender, near the fender's uppermost crease or bend. This path is thus inside a cavity of the car's body. You don't have to remove the plastic wheel-well to see it. I found that I could see the path by looking, with flashlight, from the hinge area of the front door (left side).

My seeing this in-cavity portion of the tubing provided visual evidence that the tubing in this cavity area within the fender is much more robust than the (once) clear (vinyl?) tubing in the engine area (e.g. mounted to the underside of the hood). That once-clear tubing is now hard and brittle and has broken at several spots along the path to the squirters. The point is that I hope to get by without replacing the in-cavity tubing, and only need to replace the exposed brittle tubing.

A second question is, Where does the tubing emerge from the in-cavity area? In my case it emerged very near the bottom edge of the windshield. This spot is rearward from the hinge for the hood. The windshield bottom margin has a plastic or neoprene skirt, which partially hides the point of emergence. An elbow or similar fitting resides at the transition between the in-cavity and the emerging tubing. An aid to finding the point of emergence in my case was to turn on the squirter with the car stopped and the hood opened.

To make my squirters work again it looks like on the order of 8-10 feet of new hose are required. This is smaller hose than one typically sees in a hardware store but I snapped off a few pieces and hope to hunt down a replacement.

The next challenge will be to extract the end of the tubing that was attached to the fitting. I fear damaging the fitting if not careful in this process. I just realized that it'be smart to first remove the exposed hose from the fittings under the hood in order to gain some practice and experience on how the brittle hosing behaves where connected. It is plausible that all one need to is gently squeeze the hose at the fitting and the hose will break and the fitting will not crack of break.

Cheers,
Rick

Old 10-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Me, well I'm old and lazy. So on mine when the OE hose breaks where it "flexes" near the hinge, I just take a piece of rubber tubing that fits over the outside of the "now rock hard" OE line and splice it back together.....

I don't have my 5th gen (94-97) anymore where I did this years ago...but the 3rd gen still in the driveway (see signature) has this "fix" applied to it