Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

replace 97 accord 4 cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 PM
frankh
Unregistered
Default replace 97 accord 4 cyl.

I need to be smog/street legal in Ca. I'd love more power, I'd like to replace the tranny too. its a stock 97 accord 4 cyl, auto SE. I have no idea who to talk to about this. And I need to have it done, I cant' do this myself.

What are my options for more power, keeping it Ca. legal
Where do i get an engine/trans.
any advice would be a great help.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: replace 97 accord 4 cyl.

DC Sports header
AEM Intake
Pulleys

Thats about as much as I know for smog stuff. Just make sure any performance parts you buy are C.A.R.B complient, they should have a sticker on them.

Also, the Apexi WS2 exhaust should be as should most others, simply because your are replacing the old exhaust only with a different diameter pipe. And its after the cat.

Engine and trans = Honda dealership. Other import places have them too. Look for Accords with H22's swapped in them and tey could sell you their old engine for cheap or free. What is wrong with your current ones?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
frankh
Unregistered

my 4 cyl has 178,000 miles. I think it is weak, the tranny is got some odd bumps and lags, it is showing its age. I want to keep the car, but really want more power, and need to replace the trans.

You said dealership and other places. I can contact local shops in Sac. I'd love to have a builder put one together for me and then take my car in a have him drop it in, but I need to do it without spending a fortune.

thanks for your ideas on hot parts for more power. About the exhuast; i can flow it out with bigger pipe and greater flow can, can I use a freeer flowing cat con too?

About fuel injection. will i run into smog problems if I use injectors with higher fuel delivery?

any tranny advice? I like longer highway gearing, the stock ratio seems good, If I could change anything, i'd give the top gear a longer leg.

Thanks again
Frank.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do an F20B and manual transmission swap.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
frankh
Unregistered

f20b and manual? whats the benefit? and can I do that with a auto trans?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Just to let you know, transmissons are very expensive. Just a heads up.

The largest diameter pipe you want to go on a NA (normally aspirated) Accord is 2.25 inches. A hi flow cat would help to, but I do not know much if there are CARB exempt ones or not. Do not buy a high flow cat off ebay for $40, those are test pipes. They look like a catlyic convertor, but it is just a pipe. You'll fail your smog test asap.

More fuel? I dont think youll see any increase in hp just by higher flowing injectors. You need either a turbo or serious motor to need those.