Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Resistance/slow response to acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Resistance/slow response to acceleration

Hi ...
My 1st guess from experience would be to have you change your fuel filter...

WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: Pat61

Does anyone know anything about this and what needs to be adjusted/cleaned/repaired to improve acceleration response?

When I depress the gas pedal to accelerate, it feels like the car engine doesn't want to respond. I'm not Ms. Leadfoot either - not trying to take the car to 80 km in 5.6 sec.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:11 AM

so anyway hows the car now after the dealership worked on it?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:06 AM

I hope I didn't put a scare into you about the tranny post. It just came to mind after everything else was looked at and I've seen one car that ran like it was pulling a bus and it was the tranny but with new computerized cars so much can cause this kind of stuff it's just hard to say so I put the post in as something to consider. I gave it a few more thoughts and here is maybe a suggestion to have them look into. Maybe it would be a idea to have them do a fuel pressure test to see if the fuel is being delivered at the proper amount. That might tell you if the fuel pump was having problems or the filter was clogged. Some cars have a fuel filter in the fuel pump as well in the gas tank so with some cars there is 2 to consider. I don't know if honda's do this or not.
Maybe have a compression test done if it hasn't been done already. Maybe a valve job could be a fix. I'm just a bit on the worry side when it comes to automatic trasmissions as they have tons of parts and seem to start to act up around 100k-150k mi. (not every car does this but I do see a few posts about problems in this mile area) so it's why I brought it up. I hope I don't give you any sleepless nights about it. If it is in there maybe if they use a filter just cleaning it could do the trick which wouldn't cost much at a tranny shop I would guess. But I AM guessing so don't put too much worry on what I've mentioned about it ok? I don't know what effects the torque converter would play in this problem either or if it could play a part in the trouble. Maybe have a fuel injector pulled and see how clean it is. Maybe they just need to be cleaned and that would fix the problem. The trouble with new cars is there is so much that can cause problems that I'd hate to see it be in the ECU giving off signals to the timing or the injectors. They must have a test for that I would hope.
I kind of prefer to take cars not to dealers but to a good repair shop that specilizes in honda cars and have them look into it. I don't have a lot of faith in dealer repair shops in general (but there is good ones out there as much as bad ones so if you know this place to be good then great).
My Audi is a good example of this. The dealer that my cousin took it to to have work done did more damage than fixed things and I got very good results with a private German car repair shop that fixed it for much less cost and seemed to be better in tune with the car than the dealerships did. But I asked around at auto parts stores and Audi forums to find out which people found good repair shops and also did a check with the BBB to see if any complaints were submitted against the repair shop. A good idea to do as a general rule I feel. I've found that good auto parts stores get a lot of feedback from people who had work done at so and so's shop and are a wealth of good information most of the time. It's their main job dealing with people who have problems with cars and hear a lot by the wayside so to say. Just thought I'd throw this in if you can't get good results with the people your dealing with currently. Good luck just the same and hope it's a simple fix.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:23 AM

After it came back from the dealership, there seemed to be a slight improvement. I warmed up the engine for a good 5 min. and took it out for a drive. At one point when I began gradual acceleration at a green light, the car moved forward in sync with depression of the gas pedal, then there was a slight pause before continuing...perhaps a moment of shifting gears, and then surged forward.

At certain speeds (like at 58 km), the engine makes a vibrating kind of noise or higher revs if I keep the gas at that constant speed.

Spouse thinks I'm too picky....maybe I need to find a "quality control" type of occupation.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:29 AM

That's kind of funny, quality control. But I feel it's better to feel good about your car as they are a pretty important part of life these days. I live out in the country area where I have to drive better than 10mi to get to any kind of store so I take very good care of my car. I prefer to eat I guess so I make sure I do what I can to keep the car happy. Good luck with the car.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I've asked a friend in my community I'm hoping will be able to test drive the car. I'm hoping he can help me identify whether I have a problem or not.

This could very well be my imagination...maybe it's just an older car compared to our newer and better running CR-V.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:29 AM

Did you resolve your hesitation issues?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 AM

Hi, thanks for asking. My friend test drove the car and listened to the engine. He feels that the car is running well and there isn't a problem. He knows a few things about engines, tinkers with them for a hobby and appears quite conscientious. I've lowered my expectation of how I think the car should respond upon acceleration. I think the car is just older. My plan is to take the car in to Honda Service in Jan or Feb for the winter tune-up package.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Default Replace the plugs...

I have a 2006 Accord EX-L Manual Transmission, 79,000+ miles...

I recently got the "Check Engine Lite", my Accord had an acceleration problem. There were two instances when I stepped on the gas pedal and it didn't even accelerate. After restarting the car, it ran fine. During morning starts, my car would jerk during acceleration when the engine temp is cold, especially during 1st and 2nd gear.

All I did was just replace the spark plugs w/ the iridium NGK Plugs (same as stock), seems to be fine now. Car doesn't jerk during acceleration anymore, even under cold engine temps, no more lights I hope. Adding a fuel injector cleaner just in case.

Just reset my Check Engine buy pulling the battery for 10 Minutes... thanks everyone for the insight!

$15 4x Iridium NGK via ebay (these are $10 a piece at everywhere else)
$15 for the gear wrench Magnet Spark Plugs via amazon.
$5 for the Anti-seize via Amazon
$6.50 for the Lucas Fuel Treatment at Autozone