Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rod Bearings Going Out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Unregistered
Default Rod Bearings Going Out?

Hey all... Ive got a 94 EX with a F22 engine with 170k miles.... yes harsh mileage for a 94.... well i was told by a friend machanic that my Rod bearings are going out due to the mileage and i guess a little fun .... but the engine makes a rattling noise moreso at the 2250-3000 RPM range... which would be the result of worn Rod bearing?... but i was thinking of replacing that over the summer maybe... should i also go to the trouble of doing the top end also??? new Cam, Pistons, Rings, Valve springs??? or should i just find another engine??? which would be the cheapest way to do this...?? i would also like to get some pep into this car...
Thanks

Old 03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Default RE: Rod Bearings Going Out?

How much pep do you want to put into it? a full rebuild gasket kit is around $300-$400 depending on what you get etc... are you going to do the work yourself or pay a mechanic? you could weigh the options, like an engine and ecu is going to cost you what? about $1200 (take off engine I'm guessing here...based on prior knowledge) and cost you about 8-10 hours of labor or 5-6hundred? so we're talking an estimate of about $1800 for a different engine installed, down time is about a day or two (hopefully) and power gain depends on what you put in. Now a full rebuild, $400 gasket kit, pistons/rods $200 (on up depending, I just saw some 900 hp rod's/pistons for like $500), you could machine the head, bore they cylinder over slightly and re-grind the valves for $200 or so, then valves and springs let's say $200 for the sake of argument, labor about $700-$800 (guessing), so based on my estimates of parts/labor etc I've found for my area (Montana) you're looking about the same price, Down time on rebuild a 2-3 days and power gains should be decent, but you also get an engine that can withstand some serious upgrades, so I guess it depends on how far you want to go, This is just my opinion feel free to disagree

Old 03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the info... i think i will just go with getting an engine and tweeking it while its out and then swap.... but i have also been looking into the H22 engine... but that seems like more work than i wanna do... i hear that it can be a hassle.... thats if you don't know what your doing...lol

Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

hmm i would get a second opinion, and dont tell the second mechanic what the first one told you. i have 250k on my motor in my 91 and i let it rip every damn day, and i mean i let the tach slam all the way over to redline again and again. i dont have any rod bearing problems.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

Well i was also told by others that it could be the valve springs.... but idk.... i did spell mechanic wrong on my 1st post tho...but i think ill just drive it till it dies... and have fun while I'm doing it.... hey lightshow.... what type of engine do you have in your 91???

Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 AM

if you are planning to change your rod bearing, if it is the problem, then most likely the easiest way for a mechanic to get to that is from your block, not through the head, meaning they'll take off your oil pan and take out your crankshaft in order to install new bearings. it would probably still require for the engine to be out of the car, but it would depend on a mechanic. but getting a bigger and aluminum oil pan would be nice for engine cooling. www.f22parts.com will have that part, and the rod bearings, if it is the problem.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i have a F22A6....its the original and it has about 254 thousand on it. i run only mobil 1 in it, and you couldnt pay me to have another mechanic touch it. its fully maintined by me. the check engine light came on once and two seconds after it came on i shut it down and had it put on a flat bed back to my shop (my parents house lol) to have the 02 sensor replaced. i sometimes drive it nice but when i get pissed in traffic the tach never goes below 4000.