Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Spark plugs bleeding oil?

Old 02-27-2006, 03:35 AM
Default Spark plugs bleeding oil?

The other day while I was giving my car a tune-up I noticed that oil was present at the base of the old spark plugs. I'm a little worried this could lead to a bigger problem if left unattended. I asked around for some advice and was told to change the head gasket and/or spark plug seals. I would just like to know what the problems(if any) are regarding this. I noticed there are some posters on this board that know their hondas. Im pretty savi when it comes to my accord and maintain her regulargly but don't know what to do about this issue. Vehicle is a 92 accord lx 5speed. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Spark plugs bleeding oil?

be happy to help...your problem is one hundred percent absolutely positively that you have bad spark plug tube seals. so...

go down to honda and get four of them, and.....get a tube of hondabond if you dont have a tube already...which you should.

you have to take off the valve cover....so take off the ground wire and all 4 spark plug wires...then there are 4 10mm's that hold the valve cover in place. be careful when you take it off and the valve cover gasket should be reusable...take a tiny little flat head and pry out the old seals and just push the new ones in with your fingers....its really easy. then make sure the surface of the head is nice and clean...scrape off all the old honda bond...then put a tiny tiny little bit of hondabond in the cracks where the gasket goes over the cam and then put the cover back on..

Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 AM
Default RE: Spark plugs bleeding oil?

I was leaning towards this solution but needed reassurance from someone that knows their stuff. Glad to hear the valve gasket wont need to be replaced, unless its damaged ofcourse. Thanks for the quick response. BTW, What kind of accord are you running?