Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Switch to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Default RE: Switch to Synthetic

Very good information, thanks.

Don't forget that M1 has come out with the "EP" series with a 15,000 mile oil change interval. I suppose it's their way of competing with Amsoil. For all reading this don't extend your oil change interval past the manufacturer's suggested mileage if the car is under warranty.......regardless of brand.

I think that Amsoil's series 2000 0W30 is possibly the best oil they've ever made.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:50 AM

I've noticed some people have said changing the oil in longer durations can cause warrenty issues. I've read some forums where people were told this by their dealer. I've done some searching and this is about the best I could come up with. It's long again, sorry but it's a copy paste thing. I guess I'm very long winded sob....... Smiles...

Does extending oil change intervals void new car warranties?

No. Automakers warrant cars against failures or malfunctions due to manufacturing defects for a period defined by time or mileage. No maintenance practice such as extending drain intervals, can render the warranty null and void.

When a failure or malfunction occurs, the car dealer or a representative of the car maker will examine the failed or malfunctioning part to determine the cause of failure or malfunction. If an indisputable cause-and-effect relationship between the failure and the length of the oil drain intervals cannot be established, then the length of the oil drain intervals is immaterial to the warranty claim and the claim may not be refused on the basis of extended oil drain intervals.

In fact, when AMSOIL Dealers notify AMSOIL INC. that car dealers or other businesses are misinforming their customers about warranty issues surrounding synthetic oils and extended drain intervals, AMSOIL INC. sends the following letter to the car dealer or business:

It has come to our attention that a member of your staff (name) has been informing customers that the use of synthetic motor oil, or the practice of extending oil drain intervals, voids manufacturers' warranties. Neither claim is true. Please review the following facts about synthetic motor oil and put an end to these false statements.
Synthetic motor oil was introduced to the automotive public in 1972 by AMSOIL INC, with its introduction of the world's first API (American Petroleum Institute) rated synthetic motor oil. Since then, every major oil manufacturer has followed AMSOIL's lead and has introduced synthetic motor oils of their own. The performance benefits are indisputable, as evidenced by the fact that every jet engine in the world today uses only synthetic oil.
Vehicle manufacturers recommend lubricant according to their viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it's conventional petroleum motor oil or synthetic, meeting the correct viscosity grade (5W-30 for example) and the current API SH and ILSAC GF-1 North American service classifications, may be used without affecting warranty coverage. In fact, synthetic oils labeled GF-1 are recommended, but in many applications, actually required.
Furthermore, the practice of extending oil drain intervals does not void warranties. Original equipment manufacturers pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil didn't cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.
Note also that a warranty cannot be voided by verbal instruction only. If voiced, it must be done in writing, stating the specific reason.
The fact is, AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils exceed the most demanding worldwide performance standards, including the API SH and ILSAC GF-1 North American standards, and meet all original equipment manufacturer warranty requirements. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are specifically formulated for long drain service and provide superior performance and protection to that provided by conventional motor oils. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils may be recommended and installed with complete confidence and at no risk to warranty coverage.

It does have some hint of sales advertising but the auto maker or service dept. has to prove it caused the problem to deny coverage and there are places that you can send your oil to be checked out to see if it's still good. I personally don't worry about it but I'm def. not saying that anyone else should if they don't feel comfortable about it. It's one reason why Amsoil came out with their 7500 mi. oil so people who use it will not be bothered by going 25k miles when they were brought up thinking they had to change their oil ever 3k.
So take this with a grain of salt or what ever that saying is. I've seen other sites saying about the same as this. I did a search on this phrase " Can extended oil use effect my car's warrenty" and came up with this. there was other examples and maybe wording it different would get better results. I wish I could find some consumer watchdog site about this topic as well. It would probably be a bit more beleveable if it was from more of a third party kind of statement. One thing though, they state this on their website as well in their FAQ area I think that's where it was, and would be open to lawsuits if not true I would think.
If my car dealer told me they would refuse coverage I'd tell them I'll see you in court. That should bring them back to reality.
It is a very concerning topic just the same. I've seen dealers try to balk at covering things they should cover with less reasons than this.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 AM

All I'm saying is that it makes absolute sense to follow the manufacturer's oil change intervals while the car is in warranty and be prepared to prove you have done so. Agreed, it is unlikely that an oil related failure will occur but why risk it? Personally I don't have the time or funds to fight a dealership that has my car in pieces claiming I voided the warranty by going 15K on oil that they say should have been changed @ 10K. Got my drift?

Old 10-14-2005, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I sure do follow you and I understand compleatly. I'm going to be buying a new Accord when this estate mess I'm embroiled in gets settled. I'm living on a paltry 622.00/mo. disablity and would be hard pressed to take anything to court myself. It's one reason I use synthetics, I want to get the most life I can out of the car's I have. I wasn't posting that as a conflict to your previous post. It just got me thinking about it and I wanted to see what I could find out about in with some searching. So sorry if I came back like a troll (is that the right word?).
I know a lot of perfomance add-on's like using a non OEM air filter that is oil based K&N and Amsoil's duel foam filter that can be reused is another example of products that can last longer then the specified time with no harm but might be a point the car dealer may use against people.
I look at it as if I use any product that has a rated use I can use it and not be a poor owner mistreating the car. But if a problem does come up they have to prove it did it, I don't have to prove it didn't. The burdon of proof is on them at least. I've never taken any car into a dealer for oil changes or taken it to a speedy lube either and had to show what maintence log I had for a repair. But from what I've heard nowdays of dealers trying to screw people out of warrenty repairs I can see your concern 100%. But I also know people that have these problems go around them to the car MFG like honda's reps or who ever is in charge on their USA dealers and complain and get things sorted out without going to court and there is also arbriation setups before it goes that far as well.
One thing at least with Amsoil, If the oil does cause the problem they will pay the damages to the engine. I do like their integrity at least in standing behind their products.
Again, sorry if the post came like an bashing of your post, I didn't mean it like that.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 AM

I gotcha. I do my own oil changes myself. I may yet go to the Amsoil 0W30 I praised earlier but the price will have to be a lot better. I hope that your situation changes for the better promptly. I was laid off a year ago and it's been tough , to say the least.

Enough of off topic! For those reading this be aware that oils claiming themselves to be full synthetic are few and far between due to a loophole that Castol found. Do your homework!!! There are only a few available in spite of claims.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:40 AM

If your interested I renewed my prefered customer accout with Amsoil and will let you know the cost of any type of their oil your interested in with this program they offer. They say it cuts the cost about up to 20%. It makes it a bit more reasonable. I just got to get them to reconize my new email address so I can get my forgotten password going so I can even get into it. Should be around monday or tuesday so let me know if you want. Be glad to help. Too bad your not in my area or I'd buy it for you at the reduced cost. I do that for around 6 people I know. I think for the 6 mo. prefered customer program it's 10.00, 20.00 for a year. I did the 80.00 for 5 years.
It's a added cost but if you buy enough it def. pays for it's self. Guess what everyone's getting for X-mas this year from me... Hope they like oil.... hehehe... I guess it promots sales but it covers oil and filters and other stuff they sell so it's really not a bad program. It really pays off if you buy a few years worth of oil and filters each time.