Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

T/O Bearing out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default T/O Bearing out?

Hey all, strange noise just started coming from the tranny area. I've been reading alot about what it might be but still haven't quite put my finger on exactly what it might be. I've read that people say its the input shaft or the actual bearing, I've also read that it isn't the bearing but just a noisy gear box. The noise sounds like a low humming. I will take a video and upload it later. Anyways the noise goes away when I depress my clutch pedal but when I let out the pedal the noise starts up. It's not that loud, I didn't notice it until I turned my radio off while on the phone. To be more specific I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be replaced ASAP or if this is something that can wait till I have more time to drop my tranny. Any input HELPS!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Regardless whether it's the mainshaft bearings or the throwout bearin, keep an eye on it so you know how quickly it's getting worse.

One way to tell is try this...
Idling in neutral, clutch pedal not depressed. It should be making the noise.

1) Press lightly on the clutch pedal, not far enough to allow shifting into gear. Does the noise go away? Or do you have to press the pedal all the way down to make the noise go away? Or maybe depress the pedal slowly and tell us how far you have to press to make the noise go away.

2) Let your foot completely off the pedal, so it's making the noise. Suddenly & quickly press the pedal all the way to the floor. Does the noise go away RIGHT NOW? Or does the noise take a second or 2 winding down before it goes away?