Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

tranny/clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Default tranny/clutch noise

Okay,

I don't remember if my signature says it or not sooooo: 94 ex 4 door, 5 speed manual.

That done, on to the issue, I'm guessing that it is my clutch, flywheel, tranny, squeaking. Almost like a belt noise. However, I know its not a belt noise because a) it's on the wrong side of the engine for such a thing to occur and b) it goes away if I push my clutch in.

I don't have to push the clutch all the way in, I don't even have to have it engaged, almost just resting my foot on the clutch pedal will make the squeak go away.

So, all you Honda heads out there......any ideas?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: tranny/clutch noise

Sounds like a noisy clutch throw-out bearing. They often get quiet with just a little bit of load.

Just background BS for you to think about:
A noisy tranny shaft bearing wouldn't stop when you just rest your foot on the clutch pedal. If you press the clutch pedal down very quickly, you'll hear the tranny shaft taking a second or 2 to coast to a stop.

Since you have to remove the tranny to replace that bearing, most people use that excuse to replace the clutch itself.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 AM

Yeah, this one goes away with just my foot pushing the clutch pedal down about a 1/4 inch. And it stops IMMEDIATELY when I do. No winding down or anything. And I would say I don't hear it under heavy acceleration but with my exhaust, I don't know if I would hear it anyways. Justa bit irritating when my car is just idling warming up or driving thru downtown real slow (15mph) speed limit. It does it when I'm driving too, guess I didn't mention that before!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Oy, still have the squeaking going on. No idea what it is, doesn't affect my shifting or anything else for that matter, just irritating. For that reason, I don't wanna just pull the tranny and replace anything. Its the northwest, its cold and wet outside. And the only shop I have available to me is full because a car rotissiere is being built. Any other ideas, I was wondering if my clutch needs to be adjusted?