Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Wheel locked and ABS indicator ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
vishalsthakur
Unregistered
Default Wheel locked and ABS indicator ON

Hello Experts,

I have an Accord SE 2006. Recently, we had lot of snow. In the snow, my left rear wheel gets locked (does not rotate) and I get the ABS indicator on. When the snow melts and things are normal, these two problems don' exist.

Does anyone know what may be the problem?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wheel locked and ABS indicator ON

What causes the wheel to lock?Is the brake dragging?
If so, fix the dragging brake first & see whether the problems go away.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
vishalsthakur
Unregistered

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. How do I find out what's happening? But I can give you my observations:

1. Only the left wheel is locked.
2. My hand-break feels quiet loose. I mean from its normal position when I pull it up, it feels loose and only when I pull it harder it seems to brake.
3. A little motion is still there in the wheel like a freeplay of the wheel. But beyond few inches of free play it gets locked.

I contacted the dealer and he is saying that if the ABS and wheel lock is not due to current whether conditions, then it may be covered by Mfg. warranty. For your information, I am in Portland, OR and we have recently received a lot of snow and freezing rains and freezing temperature. Does these kind of problems common due to weather?

Please let me know.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

When its NOT full of snow, lift that corner of the car. Spin the wheel & check for friction from the brake. If youre not sure, compare it against the other side.

Maybe try the same thing when it IS full of snow. Just be careful about things sliding around. Support it propery & dont let the car fall on you...

My GUESS is the brake is dragging enough to lock it in snow, but wet & dry roads provide enough force to roll the wheel in spite of the dragging brake.