Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

wire issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default wiring=updated with new question

I would like to know how to wire vtec (96 EX)on a non vtec motor (96 LX). I have read everything and looked at the pics. Now my problem is that I do not have the wire harness for the vtec motor so I do not have the connecting plugs. Is there a way to wire up the solenoid and oil pressure switch without the plugs on wire harness?

The other problem is that the taillights come on with the key and stay on until the ignition is turned off. We just replaced the full wire harness under the dash because whoever owned it before me, attempted to wire in too much and melted all the wires. Is there a plug for the taillights under the dash somewhere that might have gotten crossed?

Last edited by karen7; 03-12-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

VTEC has to be in the motor, like for example you've swapped engines, or at least swapped the head. Not sure from the wording of your post if you've done that...?

Got the ECU from the VTEC engine? Shop manual for 1996 will have a wiring diagram showing the pin-out of the ECU. Verify the car's under-dash wiring harness has the wires installed for VTEC (it probably does). Then you'll just need to extend those wires to the engine.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The engine was swapped (prior to buying it). I had to buy the correct ECU but I'm not sure about the dash wire harness. The new wire harness matched up with the exception of 3 extra engine wires that my original harness did not have.

I have the pin out for the ECU and know where and what colors the wires are. But I'm asking if I don't have the correct engine harness with the connectors for the solenoid, and oil pressure switch can it still be hooked up with just running wires without the plugs?

Here's the breakdown

Car-96 Accord LX
Engine/ECU-96 Accord EX
Wire harness- 97 but not sure what model so I don't know if vtec or not

I need to get the vtec wired and working.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Since you have the ECU pin-out, all you do is look at the plugs where the wiring harness attaches to the ECU. Two pins (VTEC oil-switch & VTEC solenoid) are either present or they're missing...

So then you go to the engine harness. You said there's 3 extra wires that don't match up? You mean the engine harness has 3 wires you don't know where they belong? Or the car harness has the extra wires?

You can add point-to-point wires over to the VTEC spool valve.
- VTEC oil-pressure switch has 2 wires:
- - one wire should go to ECU
- - not sure if other wire is power or ground
- VTEC solenoid has 1 wire should go to ECU

Old 03-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You said there's 3 extra wires that don't match up? You mean the engine harness has 3 wires you don't know where they belong? Or the car harness has the extra wires?
They are on the car harness and do not connect to the engine harness.

You can add point-to-point wires over to the VTEC spool valve.
- VTEC oil-pressure switch has 2 wires:
- - one wire should go to ECU
- - not sure if other wire is power or ground
- VTEC solenoid has 1 wire should go to ECU
So do I cut off the solenoid plug and just splice the wires since I don't have the other plug to connect to? What about the oil pressure switch? Do I need to find a connector to wire with?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Supper Moderator
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, I have read and saved that info and the pics. I am using a NON-vtec engine harness so I do NOT have the plugs.

This is taken right from that tutorial
So you have your motor in the car, and you are using XXXX engine harness, as long as you have the plugs (usually come with motors harness, even JDM, just remove the whole thing from sensor/solenoid, to canon plug from the harness)) you're good. First you need to run the wires...
I repeat I do NOT have the plugs, so can this still be wired or do I have to locate a harness with the plugs?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Supper Moderator

My bad I meant to send you this link. This one just doesn’t have any pic's. So between both links you have all the info you need to wire vtec in your non-vtec car

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1004852

Last edited by g22cd5; 03-05-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Awesome, that is what I was needing. Thank you!

And for the taillights that are coming on with the ignition, that just sounds like a wire is crossed somewhere?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

One more thing I need help with.

CEL, D4 and temp gauge do not work. I already had the dash apart cuz I replaced the entire wire harness.
Could it be the temp sensor or the cluster, or something else?

Also shifts hard into R. Is that common?

Last edited by karen7; 03-12-2011 at 04:47 AM.