General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** Questions About The Dreaded Engine Surge Problems**

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Thumbs up ** Questions About The Dreaded Engine Surge Problems**

We get a lot of questions on this problem so I thought I'd post a lot of answers to the question"s.

Click on the link below and read on...this should help you all members one heck of alot.

WheelBrokerAng

The dreaded engine surge - Automotive Service Professional

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Thumbs up Great Thread To Go Into

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
We get a lot of questions on this problem so I thought I'd post a lot of answers to the question"s.

Click on the link below and read on...this should help you all members one heck of alot.

WheelBrokerAng

The dreaded engine surge - Automotive Service Professional

I hope that you members and non members who lurk here in the forums are useing this link..It's a Good One..and you lurkers ought to think about becoming members so that you can use all the great information here in the HAF..

Join Today

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2014, 03:21 AM
Thumbs up

Guess this newbie didn't search this post before creating my own. Ha ha. My 94 accord f22b2 had a hard surge every day since the day I bought it. I originally pulled the IAC off and cleaned it up, and reinstalled it right after I bought it. I made the assumption this was the issue, considering I was a technician for Toyota at the time, and had been for a few years. Toyota IAC controls fast idle when engine is cold, so assuming Honda would be similar, it only seemed reasonable. When the issue continued, with no improvement, I continued to blame the IAC, and never bothered replacing it because it never effected anything once the ECU was running in closed loop. But I just learned about the good ol' Honda fast idle thermo valve. Threw a post on, and before I got a response, I pulled the FITV only to find that the coolant line was completely clogged with gunk and grime! Replaced the hose, pulled the valve apart, reinstalled it, and sure enough, 4 years of dealing with a 10-15 second engine surge every day was gone. I still wait for the surge everytime I drive with a cold engine, and it seems weird everytime when it doesn't happen. Hell, I drove it like that for 4 years! It's pretty nice to have it be gone

Old 06-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Talking Good Info **

Originally Posted by Frankenstein94
Guess this newbie didn't search this post before creating my own. Ha ha. My 94 accord f22b2 had a hard surge every day since the day I bought it. I originally pulled the IAC off and cleaned it up, and reinstalled it right after I bought it. I made the assumption this was the issue, considering I was a technician for Toyota at the time, and had been for a few years. Toyota IAC controls fast idle when engine is cold, so assuming Honda would be similar, it only seemed reasonable. When the issue continued, with no improvement, I continued to blame the IAC, and never bothered replacing it because it never effected anything once the ECU was running in closed loop. But I just learned about the good ol' Honda fast idle thermo valve. Threw a post on, and before I got a response, I pulled the FITV only to find that the coolant line was completely clogged with gunk and grime! Replaced the hose, pulled the valve apart, reinstalled it, and sure enough, 4 years of dealing with a 10-15 second engine surge every day was gone. I still wait for the surge everytime I drive with a cold engine, and it seems weird everytime when it doesn't happen. Hell, I drove it like that for 4 years! It's pretty nice to have it be gone

I just read this and I think it's good information, so I reposted it for all to consider .

WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 AM

Link has expired

Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Link has expired