General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded "It's making a weird noise" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Default The dreaded "It's making a weird noise" question

I know; I hate when people throw that question on the table while looking for mechanical help.

My '08 Accord LX 2.4 four cylinder automatic with 112k miles has been running like a champ for the 2 years I've owned it. Over the last few weeks, especially - if not exclusively - when I first start it up and drive up the road, I'm hearing a sound ...almost like the exhaust shield is loose. It lasts only a second or two and then stops. I feel like it loses power during this sound too, but, I also feel like, as soon as I hear it, that I panic and let up on the gas.

Timing chain? Clutch slip? Exhaust shield?

I've read a lot about timing chains, and belts, and believe my car has a chain. Unless the tensioner is failing, it sounds like I don't have to really worry about the chain.

Clutch? This sound doesn't seem like a clutch issue. I know exhaust shield noises and am 98% sure this ain't the issue.

Also, after a few minutes of driving, the condition seems to go away. I would say I hear it maybe 3, 4, or 5 times during the first few minutes of driving, and then it stops.

Also, I noticed my oil light, (picture of the oil can), flicker -- and I'm going to check it in the morning. Who knows, maybe that's the issue? I wouldn't think being low on oil would ...present itself this way.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Jay

Old 12-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Low oil can affect the VTC actuator, which will make a grinding noise. Check and add oil if necessary.

If oil level is not low, issue may be related to faulty VTC actuator. See my post #3 in this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...banging-60188/

Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks rebull!

I believe it was the low oil - I'm sucha tool!!!! Just changed it today and made sure there's plenty in. thanks again!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear the issue may be resolved. You're welcome.