General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 honda accord v4 possible fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Default 00 honda accord v4 possible fuel problem?

ok so i have a 2000 honda accord lx v4.
It seems to be having some kinda fuel problem it wont start unless i give it gas while trying to start it. after it starts i can turn it of and then it will start right up again no problem without even hitting the gas. but if i leave it off for about 15 min and try and start it again it wont start until i completely let it cool down for about 30-45 min. ive read something about a heat soak but all the threads seem to be on the v6 i have a v4.
In the past week ive changed the main relay, ignition switch, and fuel pump.
also cleaned the Intake manifold and the egr. im running out of options hope someone can help.

i cant drive any where unless i plan on staying there for over 1 hr cus after 10-15 min of sitting it will not start again

Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Your car has an I4 engine, because the piston bores are straight up and down. Just a FYI.

You really need to determine if this problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. Have a few questions.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving? I would stop by a parts store and have them check for codes. Or use a code reader if you have one. Post the actual code on here. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Do you have a volt meter and/or a timing light?

When were the spark plugs last changed? What brand did you use? Have you inspected the distributor cap and distributor rotor?

EDIT: When you go to start the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or does the car not fire up (when engine runs on its own and you can release the key)?