General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Accord Electrical or possible fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
brockm
Unregistered
Default 1995 Accord Electrical or possible fuel Problem

For Starters:

1995 Accord EX 2dr Auto 4cl.
112000 miles

Staring Problem started a week or so ago. I drove about 30 minutes, stopped for a coffee and it would not start. It would crank, act like it wanted to start then die. I did some checking around and was pointed toward the Main Relay. I replaced that and wenton a test spin today.

This time I drove for about 30 minutes and it just died while coming to a stop at a light. I coasted into a parking lot and tried starting it again. Same as last time. Cranks, acts like it wants to go, then dies. 4th try, it starts. I drive it home with no incidents and park it.

My once dependable ride has me second guessing it for the first time in 7 years.

The check engine light is on. I pulled code 22: "VTEC pressure valve ". Could this cause this problem? I thought this was more of a oil pressure thing. My problem seems electrical or possible fuel delivery.

One strange thing I noticed while driving it home was that at idle the check engine light was glowing an inconsistant orange. Not blinking or flickering, just kind of dimming in and out. Not all they way out but just darker/brighter.

Any help would be great.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1995 Accord Electrical or possible fuel Problem

The VTEC error shouldn'tcause a stall or a non-start condition.

Strange electrical stuff that shouldn't be related to each other is often caused by bad grounds. I think you'll find a bunch of wires grounded to one of the bolts at the thermostat housing. Make sure they're clean & tight.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Has this car recently had timing belt or other engine service?

Code 22 is not likelysource of your problem.

First step is try to determine whether it's a fuel or fire problem. When you have a no-start, note whether your Check Engine & Alt light are on w/ Key in On position. If they're off, it may bea keyswitch fault. Also you should check for spark at a plug w/ a dummy plug orspark tester attached to one plug lead.

If spark is good, listen for the fuel pump when turning keyswitch from Off to ON position. Pump should run for about 3 secs and cut off (ECU opens main fuel relay). If no pump action, the main fuel relay, fuel pump, or fuel pump wiring are likely faults. You've probably ruled out main fuel relay since it's new, but don't assume anything.

I recently had to replace my 94EX fuel pump due to an intermittent, failure to pump at random intervals, sometimes weeks apart. New pump seems to have fixed the problem, but I won't crow until I've got a few more weeks of successful startups. I rigged a tell-tale light from the trunk to cabin to prove that power was getting to the pump w/ no pump operation to be sure.

good luck

Old 08-05-2007, 10:33 PM
brockm
Unregistered

Great places to start. Thank you both.

I'll dig into those tomorrow.

Edited to add:

No recent timing belt change or any other major service. Just regular oil changes for the last 30k.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 AM

I'm not saying this is your problem, butan inexpensive "maintenance issue" could be a clogged fuel filter. Do you know when the fuel filter was last replaced? If not, it is probably time for a new one anyway. You can DIY for about $20.