General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Hlep...Possible Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
maars5
Unregistered
Default Please Hlep...Possible Fuel Problem

OK...I don't know much about cars...but I own 2 Hondas and may have just learned an expensive lesson of doing my own research before depending on a mechanic.

I recently picked up a 1991 Honda Accord LX and soon after began having a random problem where the car would turn over but not start. If I tried long enough it would usually start after a while but it became annoying beign stranded in parking lots and always worrying if it would start right away. It seemed to get worse but when I took it to the garage I recently began using they told me they would only be able to diagnose it if there were a CEL orif it was actually not starting at the time they were looking at it. A week ago it acted up for quite a while and I evetually had it towed in - of coourse by the time it arrived at the garage it started fine. They told me it looked like it was afuel pump issue...and so trusting them due to my general lack of car expertise - I had them change the fuel pump - after a $400 job - and only a week of driving the car - the problem has returned. I called them back and they mentioned a few more possible things about a coil, relay, etc... I did find some info aboutbeing able to hear the fuel pump briefly running when you first turn the key to know if it is getting power - it doesn't seem to initally run when the key is turned during the times I am having the problem.

Does anyone have any idea baout what could be causing this type of intermittent and puzzling problem? I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer...I am already in the hole after this repair and would like to figure it out.

One other thing - the aftermarket fuel pump that theyreplced it with is horribly noisyinside the car - especially when I come to a stop / idle - to the point where it isincredibly annoying and affects converstaions, radio, etc. I called them and theysaid this is normal...aftermarket pumps are just noisy...is that true? I never heard a peep out of the orginalFP that I now realizemust have been fine. if it is - I'm thinking about looking for a used Honda OEMfuel pump and havingthem put that in - it IS that noisy and annoying...especially after dishing oout $400 for a non-fix.....

Please Help....

Old 07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Please Hlep...Possible Fuel Problem

If the starting issue happens mostly when the interior is warm to hot I'm thinking main fuel relay (MFR). When you crank the car for a while and then it starts, is it possible that the car is like an oven and you have the door or a window open while attempting to crank it? If so, check the MFR.

Regardless, look through the DIY section on this forum because there are tests for almost everything so that you can repair the problem without buying parts that you don't need. Even if you do not want to do the testing or work yourself, the information will help you understand the problem and also so you can suggest the tests that you want the mechanic to perform.

Good luck ..... and FYI, a fuel pump should not be annoyingly loud. You should barely be able to hear it. ..... and $400?!?!? WOW!

Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
maars5
Unregistered

Thanks...what does the warm interior have to do with the fuel relay? Does that mean I should not have the problem in coller weather? Is it a sign of it going bad?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

The main fuel relay is under the dash. Over time the soldered joints get weak and a warm interior can cause the connections to fail. It is a sign of worn out solder.

you can try to resolder the joints on the main fuel relay to fix the problem. You call electronics shops (tv repair, alternator repair) to see what they would charge to do the work, if you are not confident in your soldering ability.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
maars5
Unregistered

Thanks for your help...I am going to try replacing the main Fuel relay....with some guidance from the DIY Section....

BTW - I called the garage and they hadn't gotten rid of the original fuel pump yet - so I convinced them to swap it back for no charge...but I am still eating the overpriced no-fix...but at least I it will be a quieter ride....

Good lesson learned - to take it as far as I can on my own before handing it over to a mechanic thatI may not have complete faith in...espcially after this episode...

Thanks again...have a great 4th of Julyeveryone !!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Here's another lesson for you and your mechanic .... diagnose the problem to prove a faulty part before replacing it. Lucky for me, my mechanic is actually a master machinist and one of my best friends. That DIY section has a ton of info .... have fun reading it! And happy 4th of July!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Nice thread and responses. Isn't a breath of fresh air to help someone who took the time to read through the forum for his problem!

Garage is to be commended for reversing their un-needed work. Probably some fingers pointed around the shop.

Regards