General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Accord Brake lights not working and stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Default 01 Accord Brake lights not working and stuck in park

I have an 01 Accord Ex coupe; the car is stuck in park unless I use the shift override lock to shift into a gear. In addition, the brake lights are not working. The tail and reverse lights are working.

I have checked the fuses under the hood and near the drivers side door, both are fine.
i have checked the brake light switch at the brake pedal, it still freely moves and cruise control is still operational. The cruise control was tested today.

I have searched the forum but cannot find someone with a similar problem.

any other ideas?

Old 09-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of classic symptoms of a bad brake switch. Did hitting the brake pedal disengage the cruise control?

You can still have bad contacts inside the switch. If you want to convince yourself the switch is bad, unplug the electrical connector and use a jumper wire to jump the wht/yel to the wht/blk wire and see if the brake lights turn on to b 100% sure.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:34 PM

most likely a bad switch , if you want to get the car out of park so you can drive it , you can put the key on the little slit on the shifter console, push down on it , it is spring loaded a bit but then you can at least get car out of park and able to drive ,,

Old 09-09-2020, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Kind of classic symptoms of a bad brake switch. Did hitting the brake pedal disengage the cruise control?

You can still have bad contacts inside the switch. If you want to convince yourself the switch is bad, unplug the electrical connector and use a jumper wire to jump the wht/yel to the wht/blk wire and see if the brake lights turn on to b 100% sure.

yes hitting the brakes did disengaged the cruise control. Ok I will test the switch, a volt meter would do the same trick correct?

Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

A volt meter with resistance will work. Just put the meter on the pins that correspond to the wht/yel and wht/blk wires to test the swtich.

Also, does your brake pedal switch have 2 or 4 wires?

Another quick test to try with your volt meter is to test for 12V on the wht/yel wire and use a bare metal bolt somewhere on the interior as your ground. You should have 12V on that wire.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A volt meter with resistance will work. Just put the meter on the pins that correspond to the wht/yel and wht/blk wires to test the swtich.

Also, does your brake pedal switch have 2 or 4 wires?

Another quick test to try with your volt meter is to test for 12V on the wht/yel wire and use a bare metal bolt somewhere on the interior as your ground. You should have 12V on that wire.

thank you for your assistance, the brake light switch was bad. This fixed the issue

Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for telling us. There's so many threads where the person never comes back to say its fixed or not.