General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

06 Accord Stuck In Park

Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 AM
Default 06 Accord Stuck In Park

Jumped in my car last night and couldn't shift out of park.

Any clues to check on my own?

HELP!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

I can assume it is an auto trans car.....engine size might come into play at some point so sharing that can't hurt.

When you press the brake pedal, do the brake lights come on?

Any recent work done on the car?

Until you figure this out, there is a shift lock release - you can insert the key into the slot and put the car in "N", then start it and drive.....just be sure the brake lights are working, you wouldn't want to hurt someone else or yourself by driving around with no brake lights

Old 02-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

X2, replace the brake lamp switch.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
X2, replace the brake lamp switch.
Thanks for the help. Actually after reading several blogs, I went back out to my Honda and pressed on the brake pedal and no brake lights. I started searching and I ended up finding a blown 20 amp fuse in the fuse block under the hood.

Replaced the fuse and good to go!

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I can assume it is an auto trans car.....engine size might come into play at some point so sharing that can't hurt.

When you press the brake pedal, do the brake lights come on?

Any recent work done on the car?

Until you figure this out, there is a shift lock release - you can insert the key into the slot and put the car in "N", then start it and drive.....just be sure the brake lights are working, you wouldn't want to hurt someone else or yourself by driving around with no brake lights
Thanks, Poorman. Problem solved. New to the Forum but with 165k on my Accord, I'm sure I'll be back! Turned out to be a blown 20 amp fuse.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it is working. A 20 amp fuse shouldn't just blow, unless there is an electrical short in the system.

The 20 amp fuse protects the brake pedal switch, brake lights, horn, ECU/PCM, ignition key light, multiplex control unit, and the abs modulator.

If the fuse blows again, you will have to figure out where you have a short.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pwinter51
Thanks, Poorman. Problem solved. New to the Forum but with 165k on my Accord, I'm sure I'll be back! Turned out to be a blown 20 amp fuse.
Glad it was just a fuse , that is kind of where I was going and why I asked if the brake lights were working.

Now, as PA says. That is a pretty "large" amp fuse to blow so there might be an issue hiding

If, "if" it happens again you might have to do some more investigation as to "why".

For now, enjoy the ride, just keep an eye out for it.

Last edited by poorman212; 02-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Glad it is working. A 20 amp fuse shouldn't just blow, unless there is an electrical short in the system.

The 20 amp fuse protects the brake pedal switch, brake lights, horn, ECU/PCM, ignition key light, multiplex control unit, and the abs modulator.

If the fuse blows again, you will have to figure out where you have a short.
True, and thanks for the reminder. Drove through a bad snow storm the day before this all happened and I'm hoping ( trying to be optimistic) that it may have had something to do with it blowing...AND if it does blow again I will have some fuses with me and know where to look first!

This car had a salvage title when I bought it 5 years ago. I told the guy I bought it from that I drove 100 miles of freeway a day to work and back and as long as the motor and transmission were good that's all I really cared about. I did have to replace the brake pedal switch a couple years back so it's not unlikely that it is out of adjustment or going bad too.

Thanks again.