General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake lights won't work and shift control is stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Default Brake lights won't work and shift control is stuck in park

So that pretty much sums up my problem. My 91 accord automatic hasn't wanted to leave park the last couple days. This is simply taken care of by using the shift lock release, putting it in neutral, starting the car and then shifting to drive. The car runs as good as ever so I assumed it was something to do in the shifter linkage or something. But then i checked the brake lights, they're not working either. So after researching the problem the most common idea is that it is the brake control switch. Which this car has had problems with the brake lights staying on, in the past. Well the problem is, to my knowledge, the brake control switch appears to be fine.

Is that not the culprit? That little white Hershey kiss shaped thing? That presses and releases that black little button? Well as you can see that's there and it appears to be doing its job.

Am I wrong in my indentification of the brake control switch? Are there any fuses I could check? Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Brake lights won't work and shift control is stuck in park-1695jdl.jpg  
Old 09-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

The brake pedal stopper appears to be installed in the wrong direction.

Brake lights stay on...how I fixed them - Honda-Tech

Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The brake pedal stopper appears to be installed in the wrong direction.

Brake lights stay on...how I fixed them - Honda-Tech
Well if that is the case it's been that way since I don't know when. Been driving the car for a year now and this is a new problem, with the shifting at least. And it appears to be functioning properly, the button engages and releases in sync with the brake pedal.