General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 EX Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Ole No. 1
Unregistered
Default 03 EX Brake Issue?

Hi everyone...

I just bought a preowned 2003 Accord EX Coupe with 34K on it. I've been reading up on the brake issues but I haven't come across anything that describes what mines doing.

The brakes are much more sensitive than my Ford Ranger I traded, but I do feel something strange when braking. When I hit the brakes I feelthe normal braking sensation... the car slowing gradually to a stop. Then sometimes when the car is gradually coming to a stop, with constant, light pressure on the pedal, I feel the brakes grab tighter slowing the vehicle faster, without me changing the pressure on the pedal. It doesn't always do it... or maybe I can't tell that it always does it... but it's weird.

Any ideas? I was thinking this may be the ABS, but the pedal doesn't pulsate andwhen it happens and I'm not applying the brakesanywhere nearhardenough (at least I can't imagine I am) to activate the ABS. It'sbeenon dry pavement each timeand it's NEVERbeena panic / faststop where ABS wouldlikely activate. I've really never felt anything like this before in any car.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 03 EX Brake Issue?

It is likely related to brake system performance. I would suggest lifting the car and checking each wheel for rotation torque. Wheel should rotate w/ a little effort and light audible sound of pad brushing the rotor. If you have trouble turning a wheel w/ one hand, the drag is too high. A caliper that is not releasing (piston not retracting), or possibly a fault in a flexible brake line (flap of rubber creating a check valve effect) coudl cause brake pressure to be maintained when you remove brake pedal pressure.

I once had a caliper piston that would extend to apply brake pressure but would not release due to corrosion of the piston (they're now plastic to eliminate this). It caused the pads to wear incredibly fast and heating of the rotor and brake pad to point of smoking.

good luck

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Ole No. 1
Unregistered
Default RE: 03 EX Brake Issue?

After doing some more driving I've noticed that the extra force I feel is the transmission downshifting. It's most noticable when I start applying the brakes from highway speed. I feel it downshift from 5th - 4th gear... then after that I don't feel anything.

This is the first time I've ever driven an automatic that I can feel it drop a gear when braking. But I will say that this is also the first time I've driven a 5 speed auto and perhaps the gearing (speed parameters) of the car is what makes it noticable?

Does anyone elses feel this in theirV6 automatic? Eveything else with the transmission seems fine... other than the occassional, slightly harder shift. It also seems I need to wait a little longer to hit the gas when moving from Park to Drive. If I don't wait long enough, it'll jump into gear a little. Pretty normal for an automatic from my experience though.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.