General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 6 Accord Ignition Issue Extended Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Default Gen 6 Accord Ignition Issue Extended Issue

So family member driving the accord turned out the ignition switch finally wore out enough that you could remove the key without putting the car in park. Well this just means make sure the car is in park, and take it to the dealer to get it replaced when you can right?

Well sadly, the car rolled and took bumper damage as of a direct result of the key being removed without it in park.

I called american honda and confirmed my VIN was under this recall and mentioned my bumper issue and she said "It's upto the manager during inspection", I called my local honda dealer set up an appointment and was told he will come out and "inspect" if the bumper was harmed by the incident.

It rolled a few inches and bumped into a wooden board and then part of the cement wall in a parking garage denting,chipping the bumper beyond just repainting and taking it out. What it already sounds like to me is if the manager wants to feel nice or not that day on customer service.

Anyone have a similar problem like this? This accord has value to keep which is why i'm kinda making a big deal out of this, new axle,tranny,valve gasket,head gasket,struts etc

Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't read about the key being removed without the car being in park.

The electrical part of the ignition switch is the recall item. It sounds to me like the mechanical part of your switch is the problem. The system that you want to inspect is the interlock system.

You may want to post a picture of the damage. You may have just scraped the plastic bumper.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I haven't read about the key being removed without the car being in park.

The electrical part of the ignition switch is the recall item. It sounds to me like the mechanical part of your switch is the problem. The system that you want to inspect is the interlock system.

You may want to post a picture of the damage. You may have just scraped the plastic bumper.
Yep, the interlock is the thing being replaced. The bumper isn't just a scrape its a huge dent and chips on the plastic bumpre.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I had a 1998 and the recall for it had to do with the lock cylinder. Specifically it was to prevent the key from being removed. I didn't have an accident with that so can't tell you how to handle that part.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM

mine is busted too and honda quoted me 400 to fix it. I said no and have lived with it since. However I always set my hand break just as a habit so I've never had it move on me.