General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Accord EX Remote Power Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '05 Accord EX Remote Power Lock Issue

Ok, so on my wife's car the remote keylock entry is NOT working on the drivers side front door and I have tried both remotes. I believe this is the factory alarm and remote entry system.

With car locked:
*Press unlock once and you can hear noise coming from D/S lock.
*Press unlock second time again and the same thing.
*Unlock at the door using key, no problems there.
*Once drivers door unlocked Press unlock and the remaining doors unlock.

With all 4 doors unlocked
*Press lock and every door locks except for D/S
*Using the D/S inside door switch I can lock and unlock every door except the D/S.
*Using the P/S inside door switch I can lock and unlock every door except the D/S.
*Can only lock D/S door manually pushing down the lock.

So it sounds like I may have a linkage problem and not a multiplexer problem. I referenced these 2 threads:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-05-lx-31943/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-works-45029/

I have NOT taken the door apart just yet to have a look. Am I on the right track thinking I have a mechanical linkage issue and not a electrical problem ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Try one more time with the car locked...
Press UNLOCK twice without waiting too long in between. All doors should unlock on the second one (probably all doors except driver's door).

Seems like Honda remote resets after xxx seconds. So when you press UNLOCK the second time maybe you waited too long.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the reply JimBlake.

I tried as you suggested but no luck. Pressed twice in succession and all I hear is the D/S trying to open.

I open D/S with key in door and then can use the Remote and it opens the rest of the doors.

Seems the Remote is only working with D/S door in the unlocked position.

Please advise.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Still sounds like a linkage problem. I guess (not sure) that there's some kind of feedback where the system "knows" that the driver door has not unlocked. In hindsight I guess my suggestion didn't really prove anything different.

Hard to tell on the parts drawings, but it seems the electric actuator operates the lock through a different cable than the key cylinder. I'd remove the inner door panel and have a look around for disconnected cables.

Attached Thumbnails '05 Accord EX Remote Power Lock Issue-2005-door-lock.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Still sounds like a linkage problem. I guess (not sure) that there's some kind of feedback where the system "knows" that the driver door has not unlocked. In hindsight I guess my suggestion didn't really prove anything different.

Hard to tell on the parts drawings, but it seems the electric actuator operates the lock through a different cable than the key cylinder. I'd remove the inner door panel and have a look around for disconnected cables.
I will pull it apart and take a look this weekend. Will report back what I find.

Thanks for the rply.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so this morning I pulled the D/S panel off. I found no loose or broken linkage that I could see with the naked eye or using an inspection mirror. I could put my hand on the power door lock actuator and can hear/feel it clicking when trying to lock/unlock but the actuator doesn't move the linkage.

I find that this actuator may or may not be bad but it is only $25 at Checkers so I have ordered it and it should be here in a few hours. If replacement doesn't cure the problem then I must have some kind of electrical issue (loose connection, wire broken internally, switch failure or maybe even the dreaded multiplexer.

to replace this actuator it appears I will have to remove the window and window regulator to have enough clearance to remove the actuator/manually lock assy/door latch as they are all tied together.

Any other tips or info would be greatly appreciated. I will report back the results when complete.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it's also possible that the actuator is OK but the lock mechanism is sticky and needs to be lubricated??

Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I found a nice step-by-step on another forum by doing a keyword search on Yahoo. I replaced the Door Lock Regulator and although it took a bit of time in the end that was what was wrong. However I didn't realize that I had broken the plastic connector on the Inner Door Handle to Lock cable and as such couldn't open the door from the inside. So I went to the dealer this morning and bought a replacement cable, installed it and all is well.

What I found by reading around is internal to the actuator are 2 rubber stops that over time become dislodged. You can repair but for $25 I put in a brand new one from
Dorman that I bought at Checkers Auto.

I would post the link but not sure if that is allowed here or not.

Thanks again Jim I appreciate it.

2005 Honda Accord EX 4Dr 2.4L

D/S Front Door Lock Actuator - Dorman P/N 746-367
D/S Front Inside Door Handle to Lock Cable - Honda P/N 72171-SDA-A02

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Links to selling sites aren't allowed (except for sponsors).

I usually post em something like this:
www dot websitename dot com /etc/etc
(that way it's not an ACTIVE link)

Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 AM

Had the same door lock actuator fail on my 05 Accord on the passenger side. Purchased replacement part online for around $20. I too broke the same darn cheap plastic retainer piece on the door handle cable when replacing the actuator. May want to pick up the replacement cable at the dealer before you tackle the job of replacing the actuator. Dealer had to order it for me.