General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

06 Accord EX Smells like cigarettes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Default 06 Accord EX Smells like cigarettes

Hi All - I've been a long time reader but first time poster. Here's my deal, I have an 06 Accord 4cyl EX, and it smells horrible. I've owned it since brand new, and I'm pretty convinced it's a Monday/Friday car because I've had all sorts of problems with it. With that said, one of the most annoying is the fact that it smells horribly of cigarettes. Here's the kicker, I've not smoked a day in my life. I've kept up on the cabin air filter, but it just smells horribly of freaking cigarettes! What I do find weird is that it hasnt faded since day 1, and it's on again off again. It seems to be the worst when its cold and/or starting up for the first time, but it's definitely coming out of the vents. Where do I start to hunt this down!?

Last edited by dboogie2288; 11-09-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Are you the only person who drive's the car?

Do you only get the cigarette smell when you turn on the blower?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Yes, and yes. I've put all of the 91k miles on it - it had .6 when I got it. It's got to be somewhere hidden in the ducting, but no idea on it.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

The strange thing is that it smells like cigarettes.

Do you get the smell with only the heat, a/c, or both? Recirculation of the cabin air, outside air, or both?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The strange thing is that it smells like cigarettes.

Do you get the smell with only the heat, a/c, or both? Recirculation of the cabin air, outside air, or both?
believe me, i know. what was weird to me too was that it hasnt faded. Like if a few butts got stuck somewhere from the factory - i would have just figured they would dry out over 5 years.

its bad with both fresh or recirculated, but once it warms up, it seems to pass (or i just get used to it again and it doesnt bother me.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Open up the cabin-air filter. Can you reach in there with a little mirror & look around?
You might have to remove the plastic cowling under the windshield-wipers & look aroung the air intakes. If no luck there, maybe remove the blower for a better look into the heater ductwork.

I hate to say it this way, but I would have been complaining to the dealer when it's brand-new (warranty).

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Open up the cabin-air filter. Can you reach in there with a little mirror & look around?
You might have to remove the plastic cowling under the windshield-wipers & look aroung the air intakes. If no luck there, maybe remove the blower for a better look into the heater ductwork.

I hate to say it this way, but I would have been complaining to the dealer when it's brand-new (warranty).
I know, and I have. About this, and a rattle in my drivers door as well and they continue to string me along because it, "never happens while in their care."

I'll start there....where is the blower on the accord? I hate to sound too stupid, but my other car is a crown vic, and its basically built to be serviced by the lowest common denominator so I can work on it with ease.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

The blower is in the round housing below the cabin-air filter.