General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

08 Accord EX-L 4 cyl Check Engine Light and VSA Light

Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Default 08 Accord EX-L 4 cyl Check Engine Light and VSA Light

So I have my VTC Actuator replaced by the dealer due to that cold start grinding they make. Extended warranty covered it. Thank God I got it! Grinding gone. Got the updated actuator.

I immediately had some slight rough idling so I call them and the tech says it still needs to relearn the idle. My immediate concern was, why didn't he perform the idle relearn procedure before I picked it up? Hmm..... So they say to drive it and it'll relearn it, so I do. That was like yesterday.

Not all of a sudden my Check Engine light comes on tonight and the VSA light comes on too with the exclamation point in the triangle too! I push the VSA button and nothing.

Hooked up my OBD II reader and got a ERR code on it. Does the 08 Accord have the OBD II system? Any ideas on what maybe going on with the lights? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions. Guess I'm gonna have to have it towed to the dealer since they are over in Johnson City, TN and I'm over the mountain in the Asheville, NC area. Around 65-70 miles away.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Apple Tree Honda - halfway to Hendersonville? Isn't that closer?

Old 05-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of code reader do you have? There's like 4 different data-protocols, and if your reader is older it might not read every newer car ("CAN-bus" type is probably what you need?)

I had a cheapie reader that worked fine on our 2001 Saab, but couldn't read our newer Saabs or daughter's 2013 Civic.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Apple Tree Honda - halfway to Hendersonville? Isn't that closer?
Thanks for your reply. Apple Tree Honda has a bad rep around here and charge WAY OVER retail on their stuff. That's why I didn't take it to them in the first place. I avoid them like the plague. They let the fact that they are the only Honda dealer within 50+ miles go to their heads.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 AM

What kind of code reader do you have? There's like 4 different data-protocols, and if your reader is older it might not read every newer car ("CAN-bus" type is probably what you need?)

I had a cheapie reader that worked fine on our 2001 Saab, but couldn't read our newer Saabs or daughter's 2013 Civic.
Thanks again Jim for the reply. I have a OTC Stinger Electronics model 3769 reader. Will have to check the net to see if I can find info on it.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dwbaily@hotmail.com
Thanks again Jim for the reply. I have a OTC Stinger Electronics model 3769 reader. Will have to check the net to see if I can find info on it.
You were right on my scanner. It does not support the newer CAN-bus. Took it to Advance Auto and their scanner identified P0304, cylinder 4 misfire. Tech at dealer suggested I not drive it the hour it takes to get there with that code. Thank God I have AAA Plus that gets me 100 miles towing for free!

Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Fair enough about the dealers. My daughter was down there for a couple semesters, about 10 years ago so that's the only reason I know that dealer exists.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:02 PM

Fair enough about the dealers. My daughter was down there for a couple semesters, about 10 years ago so that's the only reason I know that dealer exists.
Well got it over to the dealer and they ripped into it. Didn't realize you have to pull the camshaft to replace the VTC actuator! Well he said some little piston that has something to do with the VTEC popped out and shouldn't have. Said he must have bumped it. Said engine needs to be at 100 degrees or could cause warpage I'm guessing with aluminum parts then around an hour and a half to fix it. Again thank God I had AAA!